🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Mac programming

Started by
10 comments, last by alextreo 22 years, 9 months ago
Im just wondering what program to use and what language to program in for mac?
TREO
Advertisement
You should probably use C/C++, just like on any PC (as in personal computer, not as in IBM compatible) platform, they''re the most used languages. For non-OS X, you can try Code Warrior, but it''s not free (I don''t like it, but that''s just me probably, it''s not a bad compiler), I don''t know of any others. For OS X, there are official free compilers I believe.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
I use code warrior at school,c++. the compiler is fairly good and an awsome thing i like about ti is that the user interface is so configurable.

"The shortcut is not always the best way " ][v][etal ''][''yphoon

Metal Typhoon
Code Warrior is the superior compiler, even the earlier versions of it are better than MSVC++6.0, but sometimes the VC++ compiler catches errors that Code Warrior doesn''t, usually its the other way around.

"I''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''Urden
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
quote: Original post by Drizzt DoUrden
Code Warrior is the superior compiler, even the earlier versions of it are better than MSVC++6.0, but sometimes the VC++ compiler catches errors that Code Warrior doesn''t, usually its the other way around.

"I''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''Urden

Man don''t even go there. cuz code warrior is a crap against borand c++ and ms vc++ , but it''s pretty good, i''venever seen an eroor that ms or borland could not cath that code warrior did

Metal Typhoon
lol. You probably have never compiled anything other than helloworld.cpp

When I had an error with my code that could have caused my computer to crash, Code Warrior automatically fixed it, and told me that it fixed it.

Borland compiler is garbage, it doesn''t deserve to have its name put next to MSVC++ or Code Warrior.

MSVC++''s other downfall is that Microsoft made it

YAHAHAH i did do more than hello.cpp. i do graphics and liking with code warrior sometimes get annoying for sure. and what u talking about borland crap ? no way the IDE is awsome , lots of visual tolls, and the compiler well it''s ok. But one good thing about it is tht it does follow the ANCI or however it is spelled. wich some headers in vc++ does not

Metal Typhoon
Well, Visual C++ was meant more for Windows programming I believe, and its ANSI standard The tools don''t matter, anyway. Code Warrior has a good debugger, and it compiles fast, thats all that matters to me.

quote: Original post by Drizzt DoUrden
lol. You probably have never compiled anything other than helloworld.cpp

I''ve been trying to ignore your consistent idiocy, but this is a little extreme. Your knowledge of C++ is outdated, you can''t disagree without resorting to namecalling, and, from what I gather from some of your posts, you''re only about 14. What do you really know? Why do you think you need to attack everyone who disagrees with you?

Besides, the thread is about Mac programming - about which you know nothing. MSVC and Borland aren''t even relevant issues! You''re one of those ignorant little kids who thinks it''s just cool to bash Microsoft - "MSVC++''s other downfall is that Microsoft made it" - that it gives you instant cred. Sorry, try again.

Learn to debate and to look for the good in things. MSVC is a pretty good environment. It''s not fully standards-compliant, but which compiler suite is? Borland is a good compiler, is free in some versions, and has a far better Windows toolkit (OWL).

Anyway, Code Warrior is a good compiler for Mac. Costs about $200 - $300. For OS X, Apple provides a free developer toolkit (an entire CD, I think).

WOOOOOOT !! finaly a post to finish this ! i agree with the post up mine. And anyways what does woot means ? i hear it alot from the couter strike gamers

Metal Typhoon

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement