🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

To outline or not to outline...

Started by
6 comments, last by Khaiy 12 years, 10 months ago
...that is the question.

When you write your game scripts, do you outline first or just go with the flow?

I typically just write but I'm finding it easier to write a rough draft outline and then flesh it out from there.
Advertisement
I think this comes down to two main ideas:

1) Which do you feel more comfortable doing

2) Which way to the ideas flow. Are you getting the ideas in small parts from all different areas, or large ideas for single parts?

In the end though a combined approach probably works best. For example do the large detailed part for the bits which you have it for and then join these together with just outlines to flesh out later.

Different people get more mileage out of both techniques. I sort of outline, but not in any significant detail. I generally write down major events that happen and any smaller specific scenes that I want to work in. Regardless, I tend to find that I think up a lot of new or cool things as I write, particularly interesting ways to link things together or how to use a scene I didn't know where to put it.

I've tried writing without an outline, and that works reasonably well for me, but I find that I have difficulty pacing if I don't outline.
Success requires no explanation. Failure allows none.
I outline. I also expect others to have a plot outline or synopsis if they ever want me to critique any of their writing longer than a short story. On the other hand I understand that for some people outlining first can kill their interest in exploring an idea.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

I always outline.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I'm with Tom Sloper. IMHO creating outlines make the broad strokes easier, and helps people understand the flow of the story more quickly. It's an excellent way to organize thoughts.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
[font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"]I rarely outline, and it's not about enthusiasm, it's about discovering what I want to say and ensuring that actions stem naturally from scenarios and personalities rather than meeting an arbitrary spec sheet.

Then the work is re-written or heavily modified in light of theme, characters and structure. The details must[/font][font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"]be revised in light of the whole. On smaller works I may rewrite it entirely from scratch at least twice.
[/font]
This works very well for me. I get regular, unsolicited compliments for my writing. At school, from teachers, at work, on forums (I met my wife this way). And a lot of big winners write this way, including reputable novelists.

Different people write this way or with the outlines. It's been called the Beethoven approach and the Mozart approach in some circles. It's not the question. It's a "coke or pepsi" question.
I tend to write as I think, and then assemble the pieces I've written into an outline afterwards. The first draft of anything tends to be awful anyhow, and at least this way the stuff I've thought up can suggest new events to me. Even when I do write an outline, I try not to stick to it too rigidly. Either approach just provides an overview for stuff I'd really like to explore in the script, and regardless of how it got onto the page it'll be subject to relentless revising anyhow.

-------R.I.P.-------

Selective Quote

~Too Late - Too Soon~

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement