🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Writing Contest 1 - Character Concept

Started by
11 comments, last by SabataS 12 years, 8 months ago
Ok, here is the first contest assignment! You have been hired as a writer for an RPG, adventure, FPS, or any kind of game which has talkative NPCs the player interacts with. Your first assignment is to create one of these NPCs. Don't go over 2,500 words. You must include the following specifics and sections of information:
- The character must be female
- Propose names of three different types:
- - 1. A realistic name including first and last name
- - 2. A fantasy name that has no obvious meaning but sounds nice
- - 3. A name composed of 1-3 real words
- Visual description of both body and clothing (may include fantasy elements if desired)
- Personality and background/backstory
- Two things the character wants the player to do or would be pleased if the player did
- At least 4 pieces of dialogue the character will speak within the game
Due: Any time before 10 AM EST Monday September 19th
Enter by: PMing the entry to me. Only 1 entry per person.
Other requirements: Everyone who enters is required to vote. Further, you are required to rank your entry #1, then the others as normal. This is to remove any ethical dilemma or issue of bias inherent in voting on a contest you have entered in. Beyond that, don't worry about voting until I post further info next monday.

Okay, any questions?

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement
Solid, I made up something and sent it in.

I better not be the only one who does so. I'm looking at you, rest of forum.
I don't like to create new characters because I feel a responsibility to bring up every character I made. So could I use a character I had already posted, and work on the areas that I never touched?
I would not be unhappy if another used some older, refined work.

I don't like to create new characters because I feel a responsibility to bring up every character I made. So could I use a character I had already posted, and work on the areas that I never touched?

Oops, I didn't see this question! Yes that would be ok with me. This exercise is as much about being able to follow a fairly strict format as it is about being able to create an interesting character.

I have only received one entry so far, you all have slightly more than 12 hours to pm your entries to me!

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

"Win by default" is a lame victory. Come on, I only put four hours into it, somebody knock my oversized head off! Lest it be boring.
We'll I managed to get my entry in. Hopefully that brings the total entries to over 2...
Doubt I'll be able to get an entry in but good luck to those that do. Hopefully you will run another one and I'll notice it before it's too late. :P
I have an unexpectedly busy schedule today and won't be able to put these up for voting until tomorrow, so anyone who was thinking of entering hurry up and do it! lol Currently I have only 3 lonely entries.. *sniff* they want company!

I wrote one but I fell asleep. How many participants do you want to get?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement