🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Directed to Drizzt DoUrden

Started by
4 comments, last by VXG 22 years, 9 months ago
Hi, Drizzt DoUrden. I''ve been seeing that you recommend the book "SAMS Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days" to everyone, so I guess you have it and you''ve read it. I have it too, the third edition. I''ve got some questions regarding this book (mostly) and I would appreciate it if you replied: 1. How much of C++ (approximately) does this book cover in your opinion? 2. Is finding subjects like advanced pointers and linked lists difficult to understand normal or am I just that dumb? 3. Have you been able to learn EVERYTHING covered in this book and remember it all? If yes, then how? (Give me some guidelines on how to learn c++ with this book most efficiently). 4. How long did it take you to learn everything covered in this book? 5. Do you think that the material covered in this book is sufficient for learning Win32 and OpenGL or should I read something else? 6. I consider buying C++: The Complete Reference, Third Edition and C++ Unleashed. Do you think that''s a wise choice? Sorry for loading you up with all these stupid newbie questions. I''m just worried and confused like every newbie brogrammer is, I guess. Also note that I''m interested in learning OpenGL demo effects and Artificial Intelligence programming, not game design. I know that what I''m interested in is almost the same as game design, but I just mentioned it so you could understand where I''m headed (it might help with answering the questions). Anyway, thanx in advance. I hope you''ll find the time to quench my thirst for knowledge
Advertisement
Well, this was directed at Drizzt, but I think I can answer some of your questions (I have Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days Second Edition).

1. I covers a fair amount of C++. Enough to be able to do a lot.

2. New concepts are always hard to learn. The best way to learn them is to use them. For the longest time I didn''t understand pointers. I used them like my C++ books would tell me too until I eventually got the hang of them.

3. I think it''s hard to learn and remember EVERYTHING in any book. I know I sometimes have to find a reference.

4. I dont know everything in the book because I haven''t needed everything in it. How long it takes you to get a good grasp of C++ depends on how much time you put into it and how interested you are.

5. I dont think that any book (or at least any book I''ve found) gives a complete look at C++. I have 4 books on C++ and they each approach different area''s differently. Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days (second edition at least) doesn''t have any Win32 specific or OpenGL specific code. I recommend finding another tutorial or book for that like WinProg.

6. Like I said before, I think it is a good idea to have multiple books. I haven''t seen C++: The Complete Reference so I cant comment on it though.

Invader X
Invader''s Realm
Well thank you Invader X. Since I agree with all of Invader X''s answers, I will tell you why I think this book is great for people starting:

I have around 10 C++ books, alittle less. I have read every single one, and they basically all cover the same things. Some stuff is out dated, some is not standard anymore, some was not standard when each book came out, etc.

Most of them required alittle knowledge of mathematics, like algebra, and some of them assumed you knew C ( which was my mistake, I should not have bought them. I should have looked through the first chapter.. ).

STYC++ in 21 Days assumed you had no knowledge of C++, or any other type of programming, and nothing was really used so much that it would affect your future programming status when it was no longer a standard. It basically went over everything you need to know to be a master of the intermediate level() of C++. Everything ( except pointers and references.. ) were explained in a way you could relate it to every day life.

Also, it started out small, and then became more advanced as you learned more. None of the code given would be too strenuous to type of, it was all pretty simple, and the things that were alittle long were well worth the typing. Also, if they type it themselves, they learn more.

So, I do suggest this book very often to begginers, because, from expierience, whether or not there is a better book, you may go buy a book that is completely useless, or no longer valid, and not learn it correctly.

This book helps avoid that.

"I''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''Urden
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
I agree with Drizzt I myself have a rather extensive library of C++ the one suggestion that I will make is that you take it as slow as you need to. Back when I opened my first C++ book I would start everyday by typing a simple program such as:

#include

void NoneFunction()
{
cout<<"I do nothing!/n";
}

int main()
{
cout<<"What does none function do?\n";
NoneFunction()
cout<<"Oh I see!!!\n";
return 0;
}

I know that probably seems far to simple after you really get into the book, but I found that the simplest programs were the best thing to get the procedure down just think about it like your lifting weights a wise person doesnt go to the gym and just start powerlifting a wise person starts with reps of light to moderate weight then as a persons strength increases they move on to more reps or more weight. That is the absolute best way to approach any task that will require a good amount of dedication. I have STYC++ in 21 days and it was a decent book, but I preferred Sams teach yourself C++ in 24 hours I thought that it was a better book if you can find that one you may want to pick it up also after you get your feet wet in C++ you may want to pick up Ivor Hortons VC++ book it has some things in it about windows programming and the first few chapters will serve as a refresher course to bolster your C++ skills. I hope that I have been helpful I am a game designer first and a programmer 2nd

Joseph a.k.a. Archmage

"Eyes alone cannot see the truth" -Archmage
"Eyes alone cannot see the truth" -Archmage
Thanks for your replies guys. You advice has been very useful
Oops the reply came out twice...Well then I guess that your help was twice as useful

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement