🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Suggestions for a pulp sci-fi rpg?

Started by
4 comments, last by Sean99 22 years, 8 months ago
What character/plot/setting elements would you include in a sci-fi game to give it a pulp feel? The term ''pulp'' is one of those things that I know it when I see it but I don''t know the best way to define it. I don''t have any story ideas for it at all yet (I''m not going to start serious work on it until my current project is finished, but I plan on using the same engine for both, so I need to start putting some thought into the sci-fi story), so I''m open to anything. Sean Two days since my brain surgery, and I still don''t feel no cleverer.
"we need common-sense judges who understand that our rights were derived from God. And those are the kind of judges I intend to put on the bench." - GW Bush"no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States." - Article VI of the US Constitution.
Advertisement
Check out Pulp Fiction Central at the Vintage Library. Among other things it presents an in depth definition of "pulp fiction" and an analysis of the various pulp genres (such as pulp sci-fi).
Well, I would certainly place Jack Vance's Demon Princes set of novels on a much higher level than pulp fiction, but I may say that this work incorporates some of what I might call the better elements of pulpy science fiction.

You can start with the first novel: The Star King likely entitled Demon Princes: Volume One available at your local Border's or Barnes and Noble. You may not find it in the normal spot, so ask at the information counter; they'll get it for you.

Good luck, and you're most welcome.

Edited by - bishop_pass on October 10, 2001 2:47:40 AM
Not sure why you want a pulp feel, but...

-bikini armor
-3-fin rockets
-ray guns
-women living on venus
-manifest destiny
-stupid aliens
-aliens that want to screw humans
-strongly patriarchal aliens
-magical/psionic jewelry especially a headband
-knee or thigh boots

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

I''m not aiming for the particular genre of "pulp science-fiction", I''m thinking more along along the lines of a science-fction story that contains elements of general pulp fiction. I''d like to do something like the Star Wars movies, which had a pulp influence to it without having all of the silly stuff (ditto for Indiana Jones).

Sean

Two days since my brain surgery, and I still don''t feel no cleverer.
"we need common-sense judges who understand that our rights were derived from God. And those are the kind of judges I intend to put on the bench." - GW Bush"no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States." - Article VI of the US Constitution.
Sean99, today is your lucky day! Amazon.com has introduced a new feature called LOOK INSIDE! Now you can look inside the book I recommended to you (Demon Princes: Volume One ) to get a better feel for the style of Jack Vance.

Imagine that.

Without further waste of time, let's quickly turn to Chapter 1 of The Star King (the first novel in Demon Princes: Volume One )and read about Smade...

What a grandly supreme feature this is, Amazon's LOOK INSIDE! feature. Now, let's turn to page 22 and read...

Edited by - bishop_pass on October 12, 2001 1:38:43 AM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement