🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Gimmie Those Wings! Update

Started by
12 comments, last by sunandshadow 22 years, 8 months ago
Hi all, I just felt like posting an update on my game project in case you all were curious how it was going. Actually my ulterior motive is that I'm finally ready to take some writers into the staff, so I want to give you all a good view of what my team is doing so you can see if you can work with it. The webpage is still in first draft and not uploaded to the internet. :/ But it's getting there. Same deal with the design doc. Look! A Pretty Character Design! Who is this character? Meet Spots! (Who will have leopard spots even though there aren't any in the above drawing.) Spots is one of the characters I mentioned in my character thread: the mysterious older lone-wolf who doesn't know much about relating to people. Naturally has the innate coolness that Scales works so hard to imitate. Graduates from Kindergarten before the others and has to wonder the world alone for a while - when we see him/her again in Part II he/she is in grown-up form. He/she suddenly finds him/herself adopted back into the other characters' circle of friends and finds this baffling but warm and fuzzy. ^_^ Is tentative and uncertain about social things from being alone. Self confidant in other areas though. Previously very introverted, now possibly becoming extroverted. Then he/she dissapears for a while again because he earns his/her wings before the others, maybe he/she had a fight with them before he/she left. So the main character has some adventures, and finally runs into Spots again - in the bad guy's house! Then the climax happens, and what happens with Spots is different depending on which ending the player earns - in one he/she's the evil overlord, in another glowingly pregnant, and other fun things in other endings. Spots is 2-4 years older than the other characters, so when he/she's in child mode he/she's 10 and they're 6-8 My first stab at 2D animation. It flickers at one point because it's actually only half of a run cycle - I wanted to test the look of it before I invested time in making the rest of the drawings. Miscellaneous info about the game, some of you have seen this before. So, anyone want to write some anime style humor and romance for me? The intro is to be a take on Romeo and Juliet - try your hand at it if you want. I'll be happy to answer any questions anyone has. Oopsie X_x Nothing like leaving a directory level out to foul up links... Edited by - sunandshadow on October 10, 2001 7:11:17 PM

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement
Hmm, I got errors for all of those links.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
Here''s the links, I went through your profile .
Spots
Animation
Info

For anyone else who wants to look.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
quote: Original post by sunandshadow
My first stab at 2D animation.

Nice start! You''ll have to work on those buttcheeks, though; they''re a little too defined (get a mirror and take a good, studious look at yours and you''ll see what I mean).

I was once a 2D sprite animator. If you don''t mind plain bitmaps (or can wait till I register MilkShape), holla at me.
Thatks for the fix Null and Void, and for the suggestion Oluseyi, I''ll email you. Geeze, I have to go study my butt in a mirror... lol

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Wow! I like it. This game sounds different from any game I have ever heard of before. If I had to compare it to something, it''d probably be Omikron, though (an adventure game with Mortal Kombat-style fights).

Oluseyi - As a designer, not only do I "not mind" 2D graphics, but I prefer them. They have the potential to be sharper, and more stylized than 3D.

But anyway, S&S, I''m sure you already have what type of graphics you''re going in mind. Use that.

-Forcas

"Elvis is alive. He is Barney the purple dinosaur. He is the pied piper that leads our children into the wages of sin and eternal damnation."

-Forcaswriteln("Does this actually work?");
Forcas - I''m using 2-d anime style graphics for the characters and objects, but I haven''t decided yet whether to use 2d or prerendered 3d for the backgrounds.

I would suggest prerendered 3D stuffall the diferent backgrounds... looks better though (Assuming the maker knows what they''re doing)...

__
Tsu
Just wondering... Why not go full 3d for the characters??? Would make fighting *quite* a lot easier to program...

And... err... When reading your document (got the link from the help-wanted forum), I got the impression the characters were lizard-like... But your sketches show something different. I like the sketches better though

Last but not least: I posted in the help-wanted forum :D
Ronin - we''re going with 2d because the artists including me enjoy producing 2d art more than 3d art.

Here''s another pretty character, Scales

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement