🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Assemblers

Started by
31 comments, last by goober 22 years, 8 months ago
quote: Original post by Sinner_Zero
speaking of which I hate those damn help files.

That''s too bad. They''re actually quite good.

quote: one q while I''m on the topic (anyone else? heh) of help files, where the hell at the online MSDN library is the MFC reference? cuz I think the one with MSVC++ 5 might be outdated, or am I just crazy?

Click Here.
Advertisement
oy, its just that the whole MSDN library seems so loose to me, I mean I''m a beginner in everything but C++, I mean I only made a window open in MFC before and as for assembly, I just seens snippets of code.

I installed all of my help files with MVS 97'' and can''t find anything that they claimed was there. I mean all I can find of a complete C++ reference is all of the keywords....that don''t help much. I mean I still need to learn bitwise stuff which I have yet to see in any book that I''ve read and I know that I have only heard of vectors twice and seen code once, they seem very useful, but I can''t find anything in the help files about them, maybe at MSDN....... I guess I''ll try and try again I will.
I installed all of my help files with MVS 97'' and can''t find anything that they claimed was there.

There are four facilities in the MSDN Library (I''m talking about the CD): Contents, Index, Search and Favorites. Contents lists all the articles by category; Index is a keyword index, like you would find at the end of a book; Search scours all the articles for the keywords you specify; and Favorites is a list of articles you have marked as your favorites.

The library is literally strewn with MFC references. In fact, it emphasizes MFC for most Windows programming topics (you have to dig or know exactly where to look to find plain Win32 references).

And now, a rant (no offense):
If you get a new tool, RTFM! Read the instructions, read the documentation, read the quickstart card (MSVC still comes with those things, doesn''t it?) It''ll teach you a lot about how to use the tool and it''s associated complements (such as the MSDN Library). Read anything like "Introduction to ..." If more people did, we wouldn''t have so many of the same newbie questions on these forums.

Just read!
I mean I still need to learn bitwise stuff which I have yet to see in any book that I''ve read

Do a search for "boolean algebra". That will teach you a good bit.

-Steven
well you see if I had any manuals trust me I would read them, when I say stumbled onto visual studio I mean it, just 4 CD''s, hell........ no MSDN library =(

now that was confusion for a newbie to everything. Now I''m just a newbie to most things and I''m still confused.
You should use as, GNU''s assembler.

Angagon
If you guys really want to learn assembler and stuff, buy Code by Charles Petzold, published by Microsoft Press. It starts off with Boolean algebra and stuff like that and it shows you, literally from the ground up, how a computer works, and you will learn a bit of assembly on the way
[email=dumass@poppet.com]dumass@poppet.com[/email]
quote: Original post by tuxx
If you guys really want to learn assembler and stuff, buy Code by Charles Petzold, published by Microsoft Press. It starts off with Boolean algebra and stuff like that and it shows you, literally from the ground up, how a computer works, and you will learn a bit of assembly on the way

Well obviously you haven''t seen Art of Assembly. Its free on the net and its damn good. BTW it has a chapter devoted to boolean algaebra.
Hello from my world
Where is this art of assembly?
http://webster.cs.ucr.edu/indexIE.html.

~~~~~~~~~~
FreeBSD.org - worship the Daemon!
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement