🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What do you think is needed before moving to DX?

Started by
4 comments, last by Soul Blade 22 years, 8 months ago
Well, obviously the topic has some relevance to what I need to know. It goes to the more experianced...what do you think is need before moving on to DirectX programming with C++? Try to be general. Thanks...
Advertisement
I found that the only thing I really needed was knowledge of how things work in 3D space. You know, things like coordinate systems, vectors, matrices, stuff like that. Actual programming knowledge, not really anything more if you know C++. Anything you don''t know you will likely pick up quite quickly.
Make sure you actually know C++ before you move into DirectX though... I started before I even understood pointers (I still don''t ) and so DirectX really confused me...
Peon
This is what I believe:
Before moving on to DirectX, it would help if you have some Windows Programming knowledge.

The road may be long, wind may be rough. But with a will at heart, all shall begone. ~savage chant
The road may be long, wind may be rough. But with a will at heart, all shall begone. ~savage chant
Before moving on to Direct X you should have a clear understanding of C/C++. This includes things such as classes, structures, pointers, and bit operations. Windows/Direct X API uses these 4 things ALOT. You should also know the rest of the language fairly well. 3d math knowledge isn''t realy needed to get into direct x because you can always use direct draw.
Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.
First, you must know how to program in C, or better in C++ .
About windows 98 programming you just need to know the minimum: how to create a simple window, you need one for launching Directdraw.
And that''s all if you only want to make 2D games , play with directsound and use Directinput.
Of course using Direct3D is another ballgame that suppose some knowlwdge of vectors, matrix etc...
A good book doesn''t hurt too:
The simplest one is Windows games programming for dummies , the other one is tricks of windows games programming gurus and is more detailed. Both are from Andre Lamothe and should give you a good start.
I hope this helps

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement