🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Help with Tricks :(

Started by
9 comments, last by Anonymous Programmer 22 years, 8 months ago
Hey, I get this error when I try to link the dx intializing demo (chap 6): main.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _IID_IDirectDraw7 Debug/wnd.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals (it doesn''t like this code: if (FAILED(lpdd->QueryInterface(IID_IDirectDraw7, (LPVOID *)&lpdd7))) { // error return(0); } // end if ) Help would be appreciate.
Anonymous Programmer
Advertisement
Are you linking the DirectDraw libraries? What about dxguid.lib?

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
Make sure your linking in the direct draw library.
I included ddraw.lib
Anonymous Programmer
THANXS, I don''t think he said to include dxguid.lib
Anonymous Programmer
actually he did, its just in the chapter that everybody skips..
setting up the ide

-eldee
;another space monkey;
-eldee;another space monkey;[ Forced Evolution Studios ]
Hmm, I don''t remeber that chapter. Oh well.
Anonymous Programmer
I had the SAME problem lol If you ever have another error, try putting #define INITGUID or something weird like that at the top of your code I''m sure someone will correct me (that doesn''t look right)
Peon
Actually Lamothe uses the #define INIT_GUID instead of including dxguid.lib into the project. the #define INIT_GUID macro causes alot of problems when you divide your program up into seperate files, so I prefer to just link to the dxguid.lib . It is alot cleaner. Also keep in mind that dxguid.lib holds the Globaly Unique Identifiers for all of directx. So no matter what direct x component you use (direct draw, direct input, direct sound, direct play, direct show, direct 3d) you''ll need to include dxguid.lib into your project (just once).
Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.
Cool, thanks guys! (if I need more help, expect me )
Anonymous Programmer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement