🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

making a game

Started by
6 comments, last by epuff 22 years, 8 months ago
Im a major beginner. I just finished learning C++. Now how do I use my knowledge to develop a game? I''d like it to be a tetris-like game. Can anybody point me in the right direction? All help appreciated. Thanks! Eric
Advertisement
If you know C++, you will need all you need is to learn a graphics API.
You''ve finished learning C++? Are you sure?

Gaiomard Dragon
-===(UDIC)===-
Gaiomard Dragon-===(UDIC)===-
well, i had a high school C++ programming class last year and i passed.
so i dont know everything, but i think i know enough.
Start small. Something like text based tic tac toe for example. Do a design then implementation. Don''t be worried if it''s slow or the ai isn''t quite perfect. But make sure it''s complete (intro screens and so on). Then move onto something more challenging (maybe something more graphic).

If you try to start with projects that are too complicated, you will end up frustrating yourself.
Yah, I had started out small.

My first true game was tic-tac-toe and hangman FOR Windows (If you can learn an API like Windows or a more graphic oriented on like OpenGL, your games will look nicer (no text-graphics) unless you can access mode 13h and that isn''t entirely useful nowadays).

Those games were all fun and nice, but they were rather static so I proceeded to make a Pong, Tetris, Breakout, and Pac-man style games (in that order) in Java (it is an easy BASIC graphics language; don''t expect to have volumetric-fog etc. without extensions) since I was well versed in that, and I wasn''t very familiar with OpenGL, yet.

So I gradually proceeded to learn OpenGL using OpenGL Game Programming.

As of now I am making some nifty demos, learning OpenGL, and experimenting with new ideas everyday.

Good Luck!
Yah, I had started out small.

My first true game was tic-tac-toe and hangman FOR Windows (If you can learn an API like Windows or a more graphic oriented on like OpenGL, your games will look nicer (no text-graphics) unless you can access mode 13h and that isn''t entirely useful nowadays).

Those games were all fun and nice, but they were rather static so I proceeded to make a Pong, Tetris, Breakout, and Pac-man style games (in that order) in Java (it is an easy BASIC graphics language; don''t expect to have volumetric-fog etc. without extensions) since I was well versed in that, and I wasn''t very familiar with OpenGL, yet.

So I gradually proceeded to learn OpenGL using NeHe''s Website, other tutorials, and the book OpenGL Game Programming.

As of now I am making some nifty demos, learning OpenGL, and experimenting with new ideas everyday.

Good Luck!
(PS SOrry if this repeated something StRaNgE happened)
I still love text-mode!!! :p

You can create great games in it. Creating a good game of Tetris with just spaces, well, that kind of requires quite a lot of creative thinking Or to hard code sounds effect with the PC speaker... hmmm....

Twas fun to do, that''s for sure!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement