🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

City Simulation?

Started by
3 comments, last by snow 22 years, 8 months ago
Is there anyone who knows if there's ever been a *pure* city simulator? By saying 'pure' i mean a simulation where the player doesn't really interact (like SimCity), he just sets some details and then a random city is created...*?* Why I'm asking is because i've been playing around with the idea to develop such a simulation for some time, maybe in 3D (Well, no stunning high-end effects, just using simple low-poly objects like cubes etc. as buildings)... uhm *scratches his head* Edited by - snow on October 25, 2001 1:13:00 PM
Advertisement
I think you want the programming board on this one, maybe the AI department?

George D. Filiotis
Geordi
George D. Filiotis
well, actually i haven't planned to put any kind of AI into the simulation...

first, the player (maybe we should say 'user') gets an option panel where he can adjust the amount of some
city properties (like 'skyscraper amount', 'street amount' etc.) in %...then the programm creates a random city based on the settings the user has made.
The city is placed on a map with an invisible grid, every tile is occupied by an object (related to the settings) an shown in a 3D view. Now the user can explore the city moving around the camera.
So, no AI so far (the only point i can think of to have an AI routine would be the traffic in the city, but i planned to make the streets only with flat, animated tiles...).
I know you'll maybe think that its gonna be kinda boring after a while, but - hey - its just an experiment

Edited by - snow on October 25, 2001 4:56:17 PM
Nice experiment idea, but "Game Writing" means literary techniques. You won''t find many literary techniques that would aid in simulating a city, so try a different forum.

:: Inmate2993
:: William C. Bubel
"Please refrain from bothering Booster."
william bubel
yah, sorry....heh, i've just been thinking about the same right now. *scratches his head*
uhm, sorry again X_x

I've moved the post to the Game Design forum.

Edited by - snow on October 25, 2001 5:14:27 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement