🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

visual c++

Started by
9 comments, last by garconbifteck 22 years, 8 months ago
what is visual c++ ? (apart from out of my price range) is it like the dreamweaver of c++ ? (i dislike dreamweaver though) Offsrping, Offspring, offspring.
Advertisement
Visual C++ is a C/C++ compiler and IDE made by Microsoft. If it is out of your price range, there are many other compilers and IDEs available. For example, Dev-C++.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
Visual C++ refers to Microsoft Visual C++, which is a popular and feature rich IDE (integrated development environment) that works just like you'd expect a Windows program to work.

An IDE is a program that you use to write code with, as opposed to using notepad and a command line compiler.

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- Not For Rent

A beginer's edition is $50 if you can find one. "Tricks of the Windows Programming Gurus" by Andre LaMonthe comes with a beginers edition to MSVC6 and is a decent book to get you programing in 2D games Windows (if you already know some C!).

Edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on October 27, 2001 5:58:05 PM
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
so its like notepad with a compiler?

Offsrping, Offspring, offspring.
Basically, thats true. It does have a lot of features though. People get confused if its like visual basic but its not. The only reason they called it visual is probably because the borland c++ is on the command line.
so you can kinda insert things like bits of ready made code?(WiLd GuEsS), and is it like a beginners tool?, something you drop after a while or is it something that if you get you will stick with forever, or is it just a bad habit????

I found this i would guess that it is notepad that tells you when things are going wrong?

Any compiler will tell you what''s wrong with the code. MSVC simply puts it in a text box for you. There''s no reason you have to use MSVC if you don''t want to, but it isn''t that bad of a tool for Win32 development. You can always use another text editor (like notepad, or one with syntax highlighting) and a command line compiler (a lot of these).

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
Theres no reason you need to use it if you dont have or dont want to spend money on the compiler. However, it is an excellent tool for writing and quickly debugging code. I would probably have trouble (unfortunatly) changing IDE''s at this point. Another benefit is if you write code proffesionally its an oft encountered tool and it would be to your benefit to know how to use it efficiently.

Mike Barela
MikeB@yaya.com
Mike BarelaMikeB@yaya.com
Ok, Cool :-)

---

-http://garconbifteck.cjb.net/
-www.pc-gaming.com
Garcon Bifteck

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement