🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

ideal age?

Started by
18 comments, last by mickey 22 years, 8 months ago
Am just wondering if 21 years old is already way too old for someone just learning to program and is dreaming of someday becoming a part of a game development company?
http://www.dualforcesolutions.comProfessional website designs and development, customized business systems, etc.,
Advertisement
I too am wondering the same thing - except I''m 41!

jelb
Heh. No, not at all. If you''ve never had any programming experience, it will be tough, but if you''ve got the will and the brains, you can do it. I''d recommend scouring the net, and searching for programming tutorials and such, and if you can, get a book. Don''t go straight to game programming books though, you''ll just get confused. Start with simple C++, then work your way up to DirectX or OpenGL or whatever you decide to use. If you''d rather not program, find what you ARE good at (something tangable, like art or writing or something like that), and try to get a team of developers, either online, or in person if you know anyone who knows about game programming. You''re only 21, dude. You''re life isn''t over. I do recommend, however, that you start as soon as possible. That will give you more time to build your company up and still have time later in life to do other things (start a family, buy a house, ect.) Good luck.

Johnny Watson
Owner/Main Programmer Vigasotech, Inc.
I don''t have too much to say, but in my opinion you are never to old too do what you like to and have fun. I suggest you follow your dreams and it will lead you to a better life.
Joel Falkenberg
Hell, I''m 24, and I just started last year. I''ve always been a computer nerd, but I didn''t start learning programming, or college, until I was 23. I don''t think its too late for me, so, damn, it sure isn''t to late for you.

-Jason
Well, I''m 15, that seems like the good age to me
But just think: Bill Gates started when he was 14, and became a world famous computer nerd. Now, you don''t wanna be THAT good, do you? So you started a couple years later, but you can still be a good programmer man! heheh. You just gotta be willing to spend some time at it....
I started when I was 7( in logo) now I am 14 and I don''t think age does matter.

Jeroen "2COOL4-U" de Haas
- DefenceAlliance Project Leader/Coder
- TacticalOps Linux Beta Tester
Jeroen "2COOL4-U" de Haas- DefenceAlliance Project Leader/Coder- TacticalOps Linux Beta Tester
I only started last year and I am 14.
I am just re learning C++.
There is no wrong age to start.
My dad is learning to program again and he is over 40,

If your good at maths and have a cheap net connection then you can do it.
I suggest www.bloodshed.net and visit http;//xgameproject.d2g.com and the downloads section for a c++ book for free.

mailto:peadar@coylelj.fsnet.co.uk
mailto:peadar@coylelj.fsnet.co.uk
quote: Original post by scubabbl
Hell, I''m 24, and I just started last year. I''ve always been a computer nerd, but I didn''t start learning programming, or college, until I was 23. I don''t think its too late for me, so, damn, it sure isn''t to late for you.

-Jason

This sounds like me! I never really program until I went to college starting when I was 24 and now I''m almost 27.

bringing sound to the masses
http://www.unparallel.net
I miss those days being 21 but unfortunately, I''m turning 35 next month. I know how you feel and I''m just starting to learn C++. My advice is to stop worrying and press on. You''re at a good age to get started.

Remember that a job just pays the bills but a career is something worth waking up to.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement