🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

ideal age?

Started by
18 comments, last by mickey 22 years, 8 months ago
quote: Original post by djacq
...My advice is to stop worrying and press on...

I think that sums it up best

YAP-YFIO

-deadlinegrunt

Edited by - deadlinegrunt on October 28, 2001 4:18:19 PM

~deadlinegrunt

Advertisement
quote: Original post by scubabbl
Hell, I''m 24, and I just started last year. I''ve always been a computer nerd, but I didn''t start learning programming, or college, until I was 23.

So... If you weren''t programming, what kind of computer nerd were you? I don''t get it.
There''s more to being a computer nerd than programming. Think of hardware, gaming, and system admininstration, to name a few.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
I learned alot about networking, building computers, played alot with corel and other art programs. Tons and tons of games.. I just never learned to program is all. Now, Im learning. To tell you the truth, I actually find it pretty easy. I catch on fast once I see a good example. I got the Iso Programming book, which is wonderful and has helped me alot. I also ordered the beginning 3D programming book by the same publisher. Those books and seriously, seriously well written.

-Jason
No age is too weird to learn programming. Hey, I learned C++ about a year ago, and now I am 12 (embarrasing, isn''t it). I''m not saying I''m a wizard, but because I just read books and didn''t learn from anybody else, I probably have lotsa gaps in what I know. I think the only thing that can stop you from really learning how to program is if you think fuzzy, i.e., that there is no right or wrong. But then again, I''m probably wrong.

What I''m saying though, is that I could learn at 11 without any contact to people who actually knew how to do this, my parents arn''t even programmers (well, my mom took a course on programming an IBM supercomputer in the 60''s when she was in college, and when my dad was in the army, they told him that he should learn to program computers, but he turned it down because I don''t think he saw the potential (no one really did)), then anybody can learn to program.
[email=dumass@poppet.com]dumass@poppet.com[/email]
No I think 21 is probably a great age to start. I personally wrote my first programs when I was 6 in Commodore Basic 2.5, but it hasn''t necessarly helped that much. I''m 17 now and just learning C++ after getting fed up with the limitations of Visual Basic. Really it might have hurt me learning so much about one language at such a young age, I found C style hard to grasp for a long time and now that I know it better I don''t think it would have been that hard if I hadn''t already learned Basic. Not that I would have understood it better, but I would''ve been more likly to admit that I was incompetent and simply take it in instead of questioning what all these ;''s and {}''s were doing everywhere.

TheCycoONE
Starting young helps in a wierd way, though personally I find it frustrating. In the past 2 years of my life I have read 3 full docs on C/C++ and thought I learned plenty, then I noticed I couldnt do much that was useful.....hell then nothing at all as I wasnt using my knowlege. Now I''m 15 and reading another book, and damnit I find out I learned/didnt learn a lot.

I think the greatest thing to worry about is saying no to people that ask you to work on some project with them, just trust me if your not sure hwat your doing, just say no. Heh, think of it as drugs. Unless of course your a regular with those.........damn kids these days.
Guys, thanks so much for all your posts and advices. It really heartens me to hear all thouse things like about age doesn''t matter and continue pursuing your dreams etc., thanks again.
http://www.dualforcesolutions.comProfessional website designs and development, customized business systems, etc.,
Starting late means you avoid the social stigma.
Social Stigma? (I''m crap @ english me and the set1 teacher had a little disagreement rather a lot of disagreements)

---

-http://garconbifteck.cjb.net/
-www.pc-gaming.com
Garcon Bifteck

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement