🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game engines

Started by
2 comments, last by Kaezin 22 years, 8 months ago
What exactly is a game engine...? Or graphics engine...? Is it the stuff that is used to run the tedious part of the game? Like for a graphics engine instead of having to include all the crazy code and then using Blt(blah,blah,blah,etc), you could just do some includes and do Draw(blah,blah)? I hope you understand this lol
Half the people you know are below average.Trogdor the Burninator
Advertisement
Well, you should compare it to a car. The engine runs the entire car, right? There are different types of (computer) engines. Graphics, Game, Database etc......

The engine is the part of code whichs actually makes your program work, without it, your program is just craps. Also, engines have the ability to be used multiple times, for different things. For example, the quake engine was used for quake, but also for other games (half life, Soldier of fortune etc...)
You get the point now????????
Yeah, thanks, sorry for the long delay I posted that at school two days ago and I just got home from a trip tonight. Thanks again =D
Half the people you know are below average.Trogdor the Burninator

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement