🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The Week of awesome II! - The second annual unofficial gamedev competition!

Started by
278 comments, last by slicer4ever 9 years, 9 months ago

Count me in. I will not be able to work on the game all the week because of my job time but I should be able to deliver something.

Advertisement
I'm interested. I managed to get an entry in last year, we'll see if I can pull that off again, time permitting :-)

i would really like to participate smile.png

Can i have more info on the rules and when it is gonna begin ? and whats the theme and requirements ? and the date slot will be good as 15-22/22-29 as soo many votes on it ;)

its perfect for me after my exams as well tongue.png

you can find all the rules in this topic: http://www.gamedev.net/topic/645699-upcoming-unofficial-gamedev-competition the only rules still up for change is the targeted platforms, i'll have more info once i've pinned down all the judges on what platforms will be available, and the Theme won't be announced until the competition starts!

it's looking like the last 2 weeks in september are going to be our winner's in the poll, i'll have choosen a definite date on the 29th.

Been a while since I've done a competition, would love to participate in this one smile.png. I could probably use some help from an artist, but I'm afraid I might not be able to get something done or finish the game in time. Would it be possible to loosen the rules up a bit, so that you can still join a different team if your original team hasn't submitted anything. That way it'd be less likely for me to drag someone down with me if I for some reason can't make it.

I'll likely not have an issue if this is what happens, but i'm not going to put it down into the rules, instead something like this will be a case by case thing, it's very likely we won't have any problem with something like that if it does happen.

Now, onto scoring. after a bit of consideration, this is what i've come up with:
  • Gameplay/fun factor: 25 pts
  • Graphics: 20 pts
  • Theme: 20 pts
  • Audio: 10 pts
  • First time user experience: 10 pts
  • Participation: 10pts
  • Judges score: 5 pnts
i've reduced audio down to 10pnts, and increased gameplay/fun to 25. riu does have a point that we don't really have many audio folks around these parts, while audio is an important part of all games, i think overall we can give more importance to gameplay/fun by reducing audio. this also gives our judges 5 additional points to play with as they see fit in the judges category. I however want to make a point that audio is still very important, and can be critical to winning those sweet sweet judging points!.

Theme is still very vital imo, as it's a primary thing to prevent early work from being done, so i won't change that, and i think graphics is also very good at where it's at. let me know your opinions on these changes!
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

Sure, I'll join in; lets hope i can think of an idea for the theme, whatever this 'theme' will be xD (OLD SKOOL! xD)

Jack of all trades

Master of none

@Slicer4ever, regarding the points: Fair enough, and thank you for both the update to the weighting and the explanation thereof. ^_^

I'm looking forward to this, and hope that I do manage to participate!

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

Thanks to orymus3 we now have a 25$ prize for 4th place!

edit: i just noticed i missed these two posts on the first page.

Given that we might have some participants unable to do one particular week but possibly another. Splitting the competition into 2 separate week run with different themes for each might be a thought.

I can see your point stormy, i'd like to garner as many participates as i can, however i'm not sure if splitting the competition is the answer. It sucks that some people can't work with the dates, but no matter what i do, some people that want to compete simply can't this year. but looking at how well this competition is/was received, i fully expect this to become an annual competition, so at best they can try to make next years competition.

Getting back to the choice of the theme. The Ludum Dare GameJam use a system of poll to determine the theme. I'm not sure there is enough user for this method. But maybe letting the user vote for a global theme and the judge will be able to choose a smaller theme depending on this global theme.

For a maybe bad exemple : the participants chose the global theme : Sea, and the judge chose the smaller theme : pirate.

That's defiantly an interesting method, i'm still torn if i should request themes and randomly choose one at midnight, or keep it as an internal thing among the judges. I'm kindof leaning toward the internal method, but honestly if even a few people want to see the former method(or perhaps even the LD method you describe), then i'd be willing to do it that way.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.
I'd much rather see it done every 3 or 6 months as opposed to two separate weeks with different themes.

I would also like to throw in $10 USD to the prize pool. A 5th place prize? Sounds better to have a "Top 5" opposed to a "Top 4"

@Slicer love the new changes and updates to the scoring card. I am curious... would you guys want to dedicate a part of the website to this? we have some pretty good coders here, I could do the art and layout for the page and we could display the contest in a more... professional theme. Thoughts?

I'd much rather see it done every 3 or 6 months as opposed to two separate weeks with different themes.

I would also like to throw in $10 USD to the prize pool. A 5th place prize? Sounds better to have a "Top 5" opposed to a "Top 4"

defiantly appreciate the contribution, i sent you a pm to talk about it!

@Slicer love the new changes and updates to the scoring card. I am curious... would you guys want to dedicate a part of the website to this? we have some pretty good coders here, I could do the art and layout for the page and we could display the contest in a more... professional theme. Thoughts?

that's one that the staff will have to weigh in on, considering the redness in you title, you might have a bit easier say in that regard=-P. however at the end of the day, this is still just an unofficial competition taking place at gd.net, the more weight that the staff puts into it, the more it'll look like an official competition(which i wouldn't mind at all, but i'll leave it up to them to decide on what distinction they'd like to make)

just realised I need to post more in this topic. Thanks slicer for showing me the statistics of this thread

http://www.gamedev.net/index.php?app=forums&module=extras§ion=stats&do=who&t=660249

Mobile Developer at PawPrint Games ltd.

(Not "mobile" as in I move around a lot, but as in phones, mobile phone developer)

(Although I am mobile. no, not as in a babies mobile, I move from place to place)

(Not "place" as in fish, but location.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement