🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A loose concept for a VR Game/Audio Visual Experience

Started by
1 comment, last by Sean O'Donoghoe 9 years ago

Hi all,

I am not really looking to work on this or do anything with this but if anyone wants to to use this it'd be cool to see this become a thing!

So this will be more of an audio visual experience for VR like the oculus or something similar. I don't think it lends itself too well to a game in a concept stage but it could if it were developed more.

The idea is based sleep paralysis and "old hag" syndrome.

During sleep paralysis (a condition where the mind and senses are awake but the body is unable to be moved) it is a rare occurrence to experience old hag syndrome. This syndrome causes a person while paralysed to feel like a person is sitting on their chest, putting almost painful pressure on the chest making it hard to breathe. Sometimes hallucinations also occur in the form of shadowy figures out of the corner of the eye.

My vision for this is that the player(?) would start in the world with some text explaining old hag syndrome and sleep paralysis, then the player would go through the regular nightly routine. Brushing the teeth, putting on sleeping clothing ect. During this phase the player would be instructed to use the regular WASD controls to move the character to complete this routine. This gets the player to have the experience of having full head control as well as movement. This lasts until they lay in their bed. They character's eyes close and there is blackness for 4-5 seconds, followed by being awoken suddenly accompanied with the sound of the body jolting awake.

Once the player wakes up, all movement controls are disabled and the movement of the head would only move as though only the eyeballs were looking around to a certain degree, limiting their vision.

For a minute (or some amount of time) nothing would happen, just having a limited view of the room with maybe a slight slither of dull moonlight coming in from the window. Once that minute is up, out of the corner of the players vision, a flash of movement.

These hallucinations get continually worsen with more clear visions of these shadow people and slowly the player would gain more control of the head control allowing for greater range of vision. Then once the range of vision increases enough that the player can see the full image of these hallucinations, they become able to physically interact with the room. Violently shaking the bed, smashing windows and moving the players paralysed limbs.

All of this accompanied with realistic and high quality audio to add to the realism.

Let me know what you all think and if you want to use it I'd like to be involved in some way :)

Thank you all!

Advertisement

That's basically a movie on a really big screen where you have to turn your head to see everything.

That is why I classified it as an audio visual experience rather than a "game".

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement