🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Need help naming the deities in the lore.

Started by
4 comments, last by Phjes11 9 years ago

Hello there Gamedev community. As you can see, this will be my first ever post on Gamedev, and I'm hoping to use this community a lot for sparring in the future.

As the title implies, I'm looking for some help on a project me and my brother are writing on. Basically we need your help on naming the deities in our game-lore.

Below you'll find an excerpt from the lore.

The Primordials

The first beings that came to existence out of the nothingness were these limitless entities. They are the all-powerful founders and creators of worlds.

They were created by Chaos - the great void.

Little is known about the Primordials or how they came to be. But myth has it that a total of five Primordials was born from Chaos - their names; P1, P2, P3, P4 and P5.

They each commenced creating the universe (Erï) in their image and rivaled each other in who could create the most perfect of worlds in homage to their creator.

Many galaxies came to be during this period. They all contained stars and planets, but they all lacked something. It was all barren and desolate and without purpose. P1 thought it could do better than that, and so it sent a spark of light towards the most complete of the galaxies it had created.

That spark found it’s way to a particular star system in that galaxy, and finally ended its journey once it hit one of the barren and desolate planets.

The sheer force of the impact from the spark, was of a magnitude that was never since matched on that planet. Out of that collision emerged new life, and P1 knew it had created something special.

Rising from the embers of the scorched planet, came the Celestials.

Now, what I need from you guys, is to vote which of the 20 names you think fits the five Primordials, P1, P2, P3, P4 and P5, the best (apparently I could only add 4 questions in the poll) dry.png .

If you have any other input on the subject (whether it be constructive criticism, praise or suggestions) it will all be greatly appreciated, so feel free to do so.

Thanks in advance.

/Phil

Advertisement
A shame that you have to go through the wall of multiple choices before you get to the actual description. Hope it doesn't scare off too many.

I think you asked the wrong question... First, what is the theme of the lore (greek, roman, norse, egypt, japanesse, israeli)? Second, P1,P2 etc are irrelevant, you actaullly have two questions here 1) which name sound as a good and which as a bad guy and 2) which name sounds grand (major) and which not so grand (minor).

I suggest to give the bad ones names starting with "H", "L" (Hera, Hades, Loki, etc) and the good ones starting with "T", "O", maybe "M" (Thor, Odin). Also definitely one that starts with "C" and moves souls to another world :) This way you can reuse prior player's knowledge.

BTW, "created by chaos" does not sound well by mithology standard (it was always some mysterous "parents" that disappeared after creating the goods). With your lore you are impersonating "chaos" which might be not what you want (not polyteistic anymore). Overall, I suggest reading some real world mithologies for research.

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

I think you asked the wrong question... First, what is the theme of the lore (greek, roman, norse, egypt, japanesse, israeli)? Second, P1,P2 etc are irrelevant, you actaullly have two questions here 1) which name sound as a good and which as a bad guy and 2) which name sounds grand (major) and which not so grand (minor).

I suggest to give the bad ones names starting with "H", "L" (Hera, Hades, Loki, etc) and the good ones starting with "T", "O", maybe "M" (Thor, Odin). Also definitely one that starts with "C" and moves souls to another world :) This way you can reuse prior player's knowledge.

BTW, "created by chaos" does not sound well by mithology standard (it was always some mysterous "parents" that disappeared after creating the goods). With your lore you are impersonating "chaos" which might be not what you want (not polyteistic anymore). Overall, I suggest reading some real world mithologies for research.

Thx for the reply.

The theme of the lore is primarily made up, but we've had some inspiration from Greek mythology, especially with the names.

First and foremost we want to put some names on the Primordials. We've come up with the names but each have our favourites and just wanted some fresh and objective eyes on the whole thing.
P1 and P2 are the most important characters in the preliminary section of the lore, the other three play a minor part. They're not irrelevant, but our primary focus is on P1 and P2.

Furthermore, I can add that the Primordials will not function as deities per say, they will die off in a battle amongst themselves, and the Celestials, which P1 have given life to, will create the world in which the lore will take place - and they will function as deities. The world itself will then be named after P1, so that name is hugely important (maybe I should've added that in the description).

Actually "chaos" was the creator of the Titans in Greek mythology, so chaos does indeed have a place in mythology. ;)

In that order: Devos, Copherus, Herasphos, Lykos, Thares (different starting letters and all end with 's').

Actually "chaos" was the creator of the Titans in Greek mythology, so chaos does indeed have a place in mythology. ;)
Titans, but not gods :)

but each have our favourites
A side note: you should have a designer (one person) who makes such decisions. If you start inventing these collectively it will soon slide into the void (where you indeed might find your "chaos" :D).

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

In that order: Devos, Copherus, Herasphos, Lykos, Thares (different starting letters and all end with 's').

Thanks, appreciate the input.

A side note: you should have a designer (one person) who makes such decisions. If you start inventing these collectively it will soon slide into the void (where you indeed might find your "chaos" :D).

Noted. :)

Titans, but not gods :)

The Titans were deities prior to the Olympians (Zeus, Hades etc.)
Chaos created Uranus and Gaia, which then gave birth to the Titans, which then again gave birth to the Olympians. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement