🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How much money needed to start a small game studio?

Started by
7 comments, last by Novadude987 6 years, 7 months ago

Please reply me

Advertisement

Around $100.

Read this: http://sloperama.com/advice/finances.htm

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

What's your minimum living expenses per month? How many months will your game take to create? How many co-founders do you have who are also willing to work for equity? Multiply those three numbers. 

What's the average developer salary in your area? How many staff do you need who aren't willing to work for free? 

How many PC's and software licences do you need to buy? 

Do you need an office? What's the monthly rent per m2/sqft in you area? 

(Assuming US prices) For an actual office that hires full time staff, easily several hundred thousand dollars, or for one person quitting their job to work full time on a game project, easily tens of thousands of dollars. 

8 hours ago, KARTHI said:

Please reply me

If you want helpful and useful answers, please ask the question with enough details for people to base those answers on.

11 hours ago, KARTHI said:

Please reply me

me

It depends, Where are you Living, Place have a cost(unless youre doing your work at home), Peoples have a cost, Taxes ,taxes, taxes . For really small like one man team somewhere in cheap place like Romania you will need just about a place to stay, but in rich countries like UK or Belgium , Sweeden etc you will need way much more to start a company than just a place.

On 10/23/2017 at 11:02 PM, Nypyren said:

me

lol smartass. It took me about $2000 and my associate about $3000 but we owned our office. Most of that money was supplies, equipment, software, etc. We also both have full-time jobs to supplement game development until our debut game kicks off. I'd say the answer to your question KARTHI is dependent on access to facilities and if you are going to quit your day job. If you are going to be a game dev full time, I'd squirrel away some cash to last you until you can release a profitable product. 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement