🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Questions for FPS on Mobile Phones

Started by
2 comments, last by Acestones 6 years, 6 months ago

After I saw a DOOM video on my cell phone,I suddenly found it's really cool,both of the looking and feeling.

So the questions came out to me:

1-Is there much less fun when a FPS game with out verticle aiming?

2-What's the core strategy or technique when playing this kind of game?

3-Is it easy to use the strategy or technique when using a mobile phone?

What's your opinion guys?

Seeing is decieving

Advertisement
11 minutes ago, Acestones said:

1-Is there much less fun when a FPS game with out verticle aiming?

This will depend a lot on the design. Free aiming just became a thing because it allows the user more freedom and yes players find that fun.

However if your game uses the doom style FPS camera to create a good game play mechanic or to do stuff that a free camera makes harder, it should be just as fun if not more.

14 minutes ago, Acestones said:

2-What's the core strategy or technique when playing this kind of game?

Learning the levels. These games don't have corner shooting or those kinds of tactical advantages . So level design was important, that was why these games had detailed walkthroughs; people had to learn where everything was to win the game.

17 minutes ago, Acestones said:

3-Is it easy to use the strategy or technique when using a mobile phone?

Yes mobiles these days are much better computers than what the first Doom games used. So use that to make it easy for people to learn the levels.

Make unique parts to every level so a player knows where they are without needing a map, that kind of thing.

First of all,thank you for answering,Scouting Ninja man!

In addition,I'm thinking of designing a multi-players FPS,such as Quake3 Arena on mobile phones,but after I played several Mobile FPS or TPS,I found the Moving-Aiming combine experience really sucks.

So I think simplify either moving or aiming may help,as well as accelerating the pace in compensation of the fun.

Did you ever see a good sample of this kind of FPS man?

And,based on DOOM,there seems no particular gameplays to me,just an ancestor of morden FPS...Is there anything amazing I missed?

In the end,the third question is about the controlling,the fictitious joystick is hard to use both moving and aiming.

Thank you!

Seeing is decieving

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement