🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Do YOU play Horror Games; if so WHAT is your favourite and WHY?

Started by
24 comments, last by DasunSet 6 years, 3 months ago
1 hour ago, Swift Katana Studios said:

I've never heard of "System Shock 2" before, I'll definitely add it to my research. 

I'll add "Half-Life" to my research.

Seems you're quite young and don't know the classics? :) Here's some more for your list:

Amnesia of course, which successfully started the Indie Horror genre.

Outlast (the first one): Jump scares, very terrifying

and maybe the older Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of Earth: Adventure / Shooter

oh, and Dead Space / Alien Isolation (both more Shooters than Horror)

Advertisement
2 hours ago, Finalspace said:

Also i dont consider Half-Life to be a "Horror" game, but it has some elements of it.

Yeah, it's not a horror game per se, but it is thematically quite horror-laden, and some of those sequences...

On the topic of horror sequences in non-horror games, I'll make a pitch for Halo 1, specifically the first encounter with the Flood in "343 Guilty Spark", and the endless horror of "The Library".

These games all play with the same base elements as Sythem Shock - ammo is scarce and precious, health packs are virtually non-existent, the enemy just keeps coming at you in huge numbers from every direction, and the lighting is... well... dim at best.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

9 hours ago, JoeJ said:

Seems you're quite young and don't know the classics? :) Here's some more for your list:

Amnesia of course, which successfully started the Indie Horror genre.

Outlast (the first one): Jump scares, very terrifying

and maybe the older Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of Earth: Adventure / Shooter

oh, and Dead Space / Alien Isolation (both more Shooters than Horror)

I've played Amnesia, Outlast 1, 2 & 3. but not "Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of Earth: Adventure / Shooter" or "Dead Space / Alien Isolation". 

In a sense, I want to incorporate the same feeling from the "Classics" into my Game (Keeping it original but integrating the ideology from the Indie Horror Genre) as I feel people don't play as much Horror Games as they did in the past. 

10 hours ago, Finalspace said:

I dont play any pure kind of 100% horror games like for example Resident Evil or Silent Hill or the games with lots of torturing going on. Also i dont consider Half-Life to be a "Horror" game, but it has some elements of it.

The last games which i played with a few horror elements: "Beyond Two Souls" and the recent "Doom". But thats it.

Just wondering (It may help me with my research), is there a reason why you don't play Horror Games or is it simply because they don't interest you?

4 hours ago, Swift Katana Studios said:

Just wondering (It may help me with my research), is there a reason why you don't play Horror Games or is it simply because they don't interest you?

I dont like games which are built on pure violence, but games using horror or shock elements are fine, when not exaggerated.

Example games i dont like: The evil within, Postel, etc

But i have no problem playing zombie games, like left 4 dead or the last of us.

I like the game Amnesia because it's just weird but I had to stop playing it after I had nightmares about being in an empty building. Right now I'm playing Halloween themed Mario hacks because they are scary but fun at the same time. I played this one that was a haunted house that you have to get out of but the twist is that you don't know you are in a house because the house is a cave! Very cool and it's stuff like that which makes me want to play horror games.

Codeloader - Free games, stories, and articles!
If you stare at a computer for 5 minutes you might be a nerdneck!
https://www.codeloader.dev

Oh and there is another reason why i dont play horror games: My wife cannot handle horror at all and she watches me play a lot. So i dont want to scare the hell out of her.

On 2/21/2018 at 5:46 AM, Finalspace said:

I dont like games which are built on pure violence, but games using horror or shock elements are fine, when not exaggerated.

Example games i dont like: The evil within, Postel, etc

But i have no problem playing zombie games, like left 4 dead or the last of us.

Okay, thanks. I like left 4 dead; it's the teamwork and atmosphere which draws me in. 

On 2/21/2018 at 2:54 PM, francoisdiy said:

I like the game Amnesia because it's just weird but I had to stop playing it after I had nightmares about being in an empty building. Right now I'm playing Halloween themed Mario hacks because they are scary but fun at the same time. I played this one that was a haunted house that you have to get out of but the twist is that you don't know you are in a house because the house is a cave! Very cool and it's stuff like that which makes me want to play horror games.

It's interesting how effective horror games are when developed correctly. Amnesia is definitely "Scary" holding a lantern around dark corridors, waiting for the "Gatherers" to appear creates an intense environment. 

What was your favourite part about Amnesia when you played it? 

On 2/22/2018 at 7:21 AM, Finalspace said:

Oh and there is another reason why i dont play horror games: My wife cannot handle horror at all and she watches me play a lot. So i dont want to scare the hell out of her.

Haha, I see what you mean. Do you play games mostly on PC or Console?

It's interesting how effective horror games are when developed correctly. Amnesia is definitely "Scary" holding a lantern around dark corridors, waiting for the "Gatherers" to appear creates an intense environment. 

What was your favourite part about Amnesia when you played it? 

I just like being in the dark and not being sure where to go. That's what makes the game exciting.

Codeloader - Free games, stories, and articles!
If you stare at a computer for 5 minutes you might be a nerdneck!
https://www.codeloader.dev

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement