🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Story in not-rpgs

Started by
0 comments, last by Inmate2993 22 years, 6 months ago
A bit provoked by the release of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, I was wondering what regulars of this forum think of other genres that feature narrative. Mind you, some of us haven''t gotten out copy of MGS2 yet, so don''t discuss the plot of it here. :: Inmate2993 :: William C. Bubel "Please refrain from bothering Booster."
william bubel
Advertisement
I haven''t played MGS2, but I know that it boasts a fairly well-designed storyline. This is an interesting cultural statement about Asian vs. North American gaming. Asians tend to appreciate more complex storylines in their games and other pop-culture material than we do in North America.

Personally, I have always been an advocate for improving the quality of story-telling in games. Note that I''m not suggesting that every type of game needs a story, just that those genres and styles that support a well-structured narrative could benefit from using established literary techniques and skilled writers.

If I had to pick one genre or style of game I think could benefit from this, it would have to be this hybrid first-person action-adventure game with strong role-playing elements, something similar to what Deus Ex introduced. While not without flaws, this game did a good job of using narrative elements and presented a complex and engaging storyline.

R.
_________________________The Idea Foundry

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement