🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

2D Game Engine

Started by
3 comments, last by The Adversary 4 years, 6 months ago

Some years ago I was working on a project, a 2D game engine, that I recently rediscovered again. I decided to create some demos to show what the system can do. Anybody think this has potential?

Advertisement

Seems like the basics of a platform shooter.

I'd recommend more lights, unless you've got a deal with some optometrists who treat eye strain. There are games that use dark sections, and games where parts of dungeons or night scenes are mostly dimly lit, but don't overdo it. (Or underdo it, I guess, since it's a lack of light...)

It looks pretty cool, but I wouldn't waste your time with it if there are better solutions available

Doug

The basic idea behind this system is that everything is done with pointmasses connected with forces. There are solids, liquids and gases and they all interact.

They can also transfer heat. All calculations are done taking physics into account.

For example, the particle emitter will emit the correct amount of particles for that amount of force or heat.

Everything can also be inside a moving or rotating coordinate system. You can see in the Robot Fighter demo that the physics correctly respond to the moving level.

Collision and static friction are done using Dirac delta functions instead of requiring code outside of the integrator.

I'm currently cleaning up the code and projects to prepare for maybe making it open source.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement