🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

[PC/Mac] [PARTICIPANTS NEEDED] A Virtual Soundwalk

Started by
0 comments, last by hunter1 3 years, 10 months ago

TLDR; Hey, you! Come play this audio-focused "game" I made for PC/Mac and fill out a survey for good karma! Thanks!

In the era of COVID, getting out for some fresh air can prove a bit... tricky at times. Would you like a way to take in the sights and sounds of nature all from the safety and privacy of your home? Well, I have an answer for you - all you need is a decent PC or Mac that can run a gaming application!

Hi! My name is Hunter and I am exploring the ways in which variations to game audio (particularly ambient soundscapes) affect our experience in virtual environments. As part of my studies, I have developed a virtual space - both visual and aural - mimicking that of a lower montane forest. Participants will control a third-person avatar through a simple objective system utilizing pathing and waypoints for navigation while listening to the accompanying sounds.

I have prepared three different audio profiles to correlate with the graphical environment. I would love for users to run each trial (A, B, C) and fill out the attached Google form regarding their experience. Your responses would mean the world, and would help me collect valuable data for my thesis. I'm trying to gather as much as possible over the course of the weekend, so please share if you know someone who might be interested!

You can download the program here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17Zg3WLv_DO1VaDxv9p99QiHab2IizX1r?usp=sharing

Each client should be a little over 1 GB. I built it on my mid-grade gaming PC, but tested it on my laptop and MacBook Pro. The experience on mobile devices suffered visual lag, but audio remained unaffected.

There is a button on the main menu that will direct you to the Google survey, but I will also post it here: https://forms.gle/YMw4qhhxY9JqLL3K7

Be sure to check out the .txt file labeled "Asset List" for links to the packages I used on the Unity Asset Store if you enjoyed them as much as I did!

Thank you so much for your time!

PS - The overall build is pretty rudimentary, I know. A big objective for me during this process was learning the ins-and-outs of Wwise and its integration with Unity. I'm a sound designer for theatre by trade, but I've always wanted to delve deep into the world of game audio. Thanks for playing out my first attempt at it!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement