🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How do I get started

Started by
0 comments, last by René132 3 years, 6 months ago

This may seem odd and I don't know if you get many questions like this. I have a background of modding games or making private servers for games for about 7 years but I've decided there's no point in trying to change old games that no one cares about and no one plays anymore. After spending some time on YouTube with the search query “How to create an MMO” and multiple similar questions I've found that everyone talks about tools they like and downloading/buying models and whatnot, that making MMOs is easier but what they're speaking about is using already created content and copy pasting it. I don't want to copy paste(not everything at least), which is why I stopped making private servers of already existing games, it's the same concept. I just rework already existing content.

Clarification: I am about to be 22 years old and unsure with which job I want to do and I've been stuck in this scene for a long time but learned something completely different (Dental Technician) and I always come back to here, my fascination for games and everything that's behind it, the art, the programming, stories, exploration, socializing and communities. My intent is not necessarily to make an MMO, but a multiplayer game that isn't limited to 100 slot servers, so technically an MMO but not as content rich for now as I still have to learn a lot. I know it's bold to start off with probably the most difficult task but that's what I want to do so it'd only make sense to start learning this already right? Networking, server structure, databases, the actual game client and design, etc.

After writing half a book, to my questions in terms of how I can get started:
Game Engine? Which could possibly work with an MMO-Type game? Can I just make a normal game I can fool around in and learn basics and implement networking later, I assume not? Any network tool available to it? Any guides anyone knows on how to get started?
I'll have to go step by step and I'd have to know which tool I'd better use not so I for example use Unity for a year and then start to realize this won't work out at all and I might've wasted time on something.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement