Advertisement

How to build

Started by August 20, 2024 11:22 PM
4 comments, last by Alberth 3 weeks, 1 day ago

Lost on how to explain correctly but i need help with how i would start a D&D like generator.

I have an idea for a pokemon rpg but was hoping i can make a very short version almost like D&D so i can better understand how i would actually set up the system.

So ive always hated the EV IV system in pokemon games andawait to change that.

My idea is using a class system much like SW KOTOR.

Use a 3d world but combat would be 3rd person of your pokemon, giving actions to dodge, attack, counter, etc

Instead of a boring ev system with random generating ivs you'd be able to build these up based off your class play style

none of this is locked in yet but just a quick base to get me started

This is what i got so far:
Pokemon rpg with a skill system

Attributes helps both you and pokemon caught
Strength obey, train attack and defense stat
Speed movement when chasing, speed stat
Inteligents added skill bonus, accuracy
Endurance longevity of training session, HP
Charisma likenes/persuade/catch %
Wisdom sp atk/spD

Skills
Crafting (pokeballs, pots, etc)
Training (time and additional points gained
Awareness (how close you have to be to see in the wild, +minimum for legendarys)
Treat injury (pot, revives, berries)
Persuade (likeness factor. Campaign conversations)
Stealth (sneaking up on wild pokes or around team rocket)

Feats
5 feats for training stats (saving throws, stamina, recovery, hp, re-energize)
Move relearner Hm/tm/tutor
Endurance training
Power training
Defense training
Speed
HP
Kindness
Chasing
Quiet running
Rock climbing
Swimming
Crafting
Poke balls great, ultra
Potions, revives full restores
Psn heal prz heal full heal
Super hyper max pots
Gardening
Fishing

How would i go about testing this with a random dye/dice generator? to make sure its even feasible for multiple classes and not just a single stomping class setup.

Basically I'd play around with random skill sets and make sure there are various options for campaign play as well as an eventual pvp

Once i figure out the proper number values then add onto the game to better help me build around the story.

Ideally I'd like it to start in kanto (3D) but build and remodel the area as a whole, make it both interactive as a battle gym leader and E4 but also have the option to forgo battling all together and traverse and do quests somewhat like Pokémo legends of arceus.

If you got this far i appreciat you!

Figuring out the generation system is likely the core problem you need to figure out first. Without it, nothing works. So, drop everything but that. Eg building a 3d system is wasted effort if you don't even know that your generation system is working.

Concentrate on the generation system and how to evaluate its results. What is the minimal setup for that? Maybe some sort of cards???? (eg just pieces of paper with a few words, you don't need a picture yet)

Smaller setup improves learning rate. Basically with every new insight the setup will change. More extensive setup means more wasted time to prepare for the next experiment.

Also, don't do 70 skills and 30 features at the start. Start with a few (less is better!), so you can concentrate on them, and learn quicker how to evaluate the system and understand what works.

I am not sure pure random will work. The useless combinations vastly outnumber the useful combinations, so a pure random setup will rarely give you anything good. That of course happens at both sides. If it does give something good then the opponent likely won't have a good combination, so you crush them in a few moves. Likely the trick is going to be understanding how to tune the results, but you'll find out 🙂

Last but perhaps not least, Pokemon is no doubt a protected trademark/brand. I don't know the attitude of that company towards “foreign” use of their trademark, but if you're successful enough, they will start sending you nasty letters or lawyers. You may want to avoid using trademarked words and concepts.

Advertisement

@dcody168 Was wondering if your down to collab 🙂

DM me

@undefined what would I use for the generation system? Like what program? Are we talking c++ or python or life a game dot?

dcody168 said:
what would I use for the generation system? Like what program? Are we talking c++ or python or life a game dot?

As long as you're experimenting, “easy to change” is the key feature you want to have I think. Speed is a non-issue, as long as it's tolerable to wait for it.

The goal at first is to obtain knowledge about how to get a good behaving system. Use anything that helps reaching that goal.

If you have the goal, only then look at what you have at that time, and decide what is worth salvaging, what you can discard, or what you need to re-implement. At that time, you may also have more clarity on what you're going to use for the actual game program.

Re-implementing may sound like a lot of work, but in my experience, typing code is not the problem. The real problem is knowing what to type, but you figured that out already in the experiments with the first implementation.

Advertisement