🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

My Unoriginal Idea

Started by
8 comments, last by Fake_Impersonation 22 years, 2 months ago
Please note I do not really plan to make this game and this is a writing forum I just plan to complete the idea. Please Note 2: I am open to suggestions on how to arrange my ideas into a more readable format. Constructive Critism is welcome, where as abuse is not. Hopefully though i have explained myself fully enough so that there will be no call for abuse just helpful comments Please Note 3: If you want a contents post, ask. PN 4: This Board is for writting if i want help for design I''ll go to the game design board and if i wanted help coding I''ll go to a different board again. Obviously some people don''t know how to use these boards eg the person that said ''we all must praise this god-like person and his simple adding game'' wrong board mate. PN 5: I have not just joined the band wagon with the fascination with MMORPG, I have always been obsest with RPG my dream is and always have been to work with the Square games company (long way to go) I have an idea for a kids education RPG on for a higher age group not so educational and then I have many ideas on how to bring Final Fantasy 7 to a close with other ideas for the game. Contents: 1 The Name 2 The Genre 3 The Offline World The Game Name: Eternal Burn I choose this name because not only have the last two not worked out but I quite prefer this one plus it seems suitable for a planet that is in eternal torment of hell. The Genre: MMORPG What''s up with the extra M? Anyway...Multi-Player online Role Playing Game with hopefully some offline aspects, which will all be mention first off. Offline Aspects to the Game: Well I did have the idea of having an offline shope that would only allow you to buy items that you have previuosly owned, but I don''t like this idea. Then I thought of a training area where you can battle monster previuosly fought and under you level maybe a bit higher. Next there is the idea of being able to bluid a full monster biography (includes stats, drops etc.) by beating that type of monster and collecting it''s drops. Once offlinethen you can research about it. Thats all I had for offline ideas so far. Next up, Online: The Map and server ideas...then playable-characters the NPC''s. The Map: I''m hoping this world will be huge. It will be based on 2 main continents that are almost a mirror image of the other, then there will be a medium size continent just above centre of the map. Small pretty pointless islands and the 666 islands (although they''ll be pretty big) where each of the 3 islands will have different weather eg. Extreme heat, freezing blizzard, storm gale force winds. I was thinkin of having 2 servers set up so that half the map will be on 1 server and the other half on another Then having 2 othere servers set up agin if it ever becomes popular. The map which will be accessable in game will be a coffee stained burnt map that automatically adds the towns you have visited. One other idea was to have a really simple world at first basic buildings with mainly demon and animal monsters and as the game gets older the buildings become more complexed and monster spawn rates change. If you know what I mean otherwise just ask.

What we percieve to be Free Will may only be our Fate...Planet Earth is Blue and there''s nothing we can do...

Advertisement
As you mentioned, this is a writing forum. So why aren''t you asking writing-related questions? It seems your post concentrates almost entirely on design/structural issues, so don''t be surprised or insulted if people give you design feedback. Just be happy they don''t ignore your post altogether.
_________________________The Idea Foundry
Well are there any designs? NO I''m writing down my ideas and am asking help in organizing on the writing and help with wording and names for items (PS this hasn''t happen yet cause i havent had a chance).

And I wouldn''t be insulted if people gave me design replies but i don''t even get that i just get insults off people like armoured heart who won''t even reply to my reply on my last topic.

Ok...enough off-topicness I''ve had enough of people avioding repling in a calm constructive way..I even manage to type oust all those please note notes calmly so i don''t rise tempers hopefully.

If you have an idea to help or you don''t understand something, please post. Only relavent comments please

What we percieve to be Free Will may only be our Fate...Planet Earth is Blue and there''s nothing we can do...

I think what Tacit is so tactfully trying to say is...there is no backstory here for anyone to offer suggestions, or criticism, about. It''s all game concept - mechanics, not story.

Why does this place exist? Why do I exist in this place? Why am I not trying to get out - or am I? What is the purpose of me battling these monsters; is it survival, or gladiatoral sport, or is this the only way I can earn my way out?

What''s the story behind the game?
[font "arial"] Everything you can imagine...is real.
Fake Impersonation:

Think about the things Eric mentioned. Identify a setting, a time and place, some characters, the main conflict in the story, why the characters are there and how will they deal with the conflict, are there different factions acting against each other, is there a conspiracy, or a corrupt government, etc.

I think you get the idea...

Put down those things and you''ll get some writing-related feedback.

Unless your post is meant as a ''help wanted'' ad, in which case why don''t you just say so? Looking for a writer to help you flesh out your backstory?? Well ask and I''m sure someone would be happy to give you a hand...

R.
quote: Original post by Tacit
Fake Impersonation:

Think about the things Eric mentioned. Identify a setting, a time and place, some characters, the main conflict in the story, why the characters are there and how will they deal with the conflict, are there different factions acting against each other, is there a conspiracy, or a corrupt government, etc.

I think you get the idea...

Put down those things and you''ll get some writing-related feedback.

Unless your post is meant as a ''help wanted'' ad, in which case why don''t you just say so? Looking for a writer to help you flesh out your backstory?? Well ask and I''m sure someone would be happy to give you a hand...

R.

Thank both of you finally gave some constructive critism.

How many times have a ask for consturtive critism and how critism doesn''t work all it is a complaint. This is basically asking for help which for the first time in 35 posts about this thing i''ve got.

Well, seems to me the problem has not been that people didn''t want to help, but that they didn''t know what you were asking!!

I mean, it wasn''t clear from your post here that you wanted the information I just gave you. You didn''t ask for writing help, you posted a bunch of information about your game and asked for feedback.

If you post some text you''ve written, like character descriptions or an outline of the game setting, then people will give you writing feedback.

It took me a while to understand that what you were really asking was "what material do I need to include in my story?".
The extra M is for Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game.
Oh...Thanx santy claus

Sorry Tacit I finally get what you mean today, I guess this is my largest problem is on writting i write about the game and it ends up as design work.

Maybe there should be a Game Ideas Board I would be awilling to moderate it. I hate bad attitudes and languge and i don''t get power hungry or pick on smaller people cause I can.
It would be good cause other people like me can go to a place and generally post their ideas then as they get better they could become more refined and come to these boards for more detailed help.

What you think?

Just Keepin my eye open.

Oh Tacit why the R. at the end of most posts.

Fake Impersonation:

Well, I''m glad we got that all sorted out!!!

I wouldn''t worry about starting up a ''game ideas'' forum. Diluting the forums too much makes it difficult to know where to find information. Do you go to the design, the writing, or the game ideas forum if you want feedback on your game? See what I mean?

Just keep coming in here and don''t be dismayed if people take pot shots at your work. Some people are just petty and can''t stand the idea that someone other than them might have a good idea, or an idea at all. And some people think it''s fun to pick on people. They are like the bullies in the schoolyard. But it doesn''t matter...and I think you''ll find most people in these forums are very reasonable and helpful when you get right down to it, and you can learn a lot by reading what they have to say.

If you want some good guidance to help you out with your game story, you should consider picking up a book or two on creative writing from your library, or if you can take writing a course at school. It''s not going to make you a writer (it takes years for that, and a lot of hard work), but it''ll help you get a better idea of what elements you need to include in your story material. In the ''Articles and Resources'' section here at Gamedev, you can find lots of useful references to game writing. Check those out too.

As for the ''R'' I sometimes put at the end of my posts...it''s just habit. My name is Raphael and I usually sign my emails that way.

R.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement