🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game Script Writing

Started by
36 comments, last by groguzaala 22 years, 1 month ago
Hi, Iam kinda new to game development. Started off around 6 months back. Iam in the United Arab Emirates, and me and bunch-o-mates are working on an arabic adventure game. I would like to the script for the game, but before that I would like to know what are the nuts and bolts of writing a good game script. What is the best script design, are there any sites out there that give a few on script. This has to be an nonlinear as possible. Hope you guys can help! Thanx in advance Up The Irons!
Up The Irons!
Advertisement
I am working on a modeling and animation tool and I plan to use Tcl as a scripting language in my application.

Here is a link (chapter of a book), that introduces binding Tcl with your C application under Linux:
www.unixreview.com/documents/s=1420/urmb29/PLG_Chapter_6.pdf

Instead of designing, implementing your own language, I advice you to use an existing, powerful scripting language like Tcl.
But when you dissect the above chapter, you will realize that binding your functions with Tcl is bothersome.
You may use SWIG instead. (www.swig.org). It really made the process easy.
Thanx,

BUT!!!, what i meant was Game Story. Writing dialogues for characters. Sorry if i confused you on this.

Take care

Up The Irons!
Up The Irons!
First move is to make sure you know who *all* of your characters are - and I mean all, including unnamed parts.

Write the required scripts first - that is, the dialog chunks directly relevant to the plot.

Then fill in all the dialog for all named characters, and the dialog for all unnamed characters.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Thanx!

Our game''s main character is a local UAE teenager, basically most of our characters are from the asian continent. We have designed all the characters and thier roles in the game. But iam not sure of what you mean by unnamed characters.

I guess iam looking on how to write a very ''eye popin'' dialogue. Something not as profane as Eddie Murphy jokes, but still as funny. How do the people at Lucas Arts do it so damn well?(I know, stupid question)

Take care

Up The Irons!
Up The Irons!
Well, there must be people other than the main characters. People on the street, sort of thing. That you can talk to. You need to script what they''re going to say.

It''s extremely important that your script has everything, especially if you plan on using voice acting. It''s much, much better to do all your dialog in one recording session, rather than having to go back and do another when you realize there was some security guard or something who you didn''t remember.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

LucasArts does it so damn well because they use professional screenwriters.
_________________________The Idea Foundry
Hence, the statement ''Stupid Question'' :-)

Know any sites that give a few on good screenwriting?

Up The Irons!
Up The Irons!
David Freeman gives a course on screenwriting that has been attended by game designers.

http://www.beyondstructure.com/start.htm

You''ll find some good info there. You should also look through the archives here in the ''Articles and Resources'' section (look in the navbar at the top of the screen under the GameDev logo), under Game Design and Game Writing. You''ll find some good resources in there.

Writing a script for a game is not identical to writing a game script, but many of the same techniques can be used in both media. The nonlinearity is a separate issue which few people have managed to master. You should visit Chris Crawford''s site (www.erazmatazz.com). He has some excellent resources, but I would be careful to limit yourself to only one school of thought on the subject.

Hope that helps.

R.
_________________________The Idea Foundry
Thanx a lot!

erazmatazz doesn''t work, can''t find the server. Anyways, David Freeman''s courses has some really good resources.

The Beyond Structure classes have to be registered and we have to attend the classes in person. Lack of polygons in wallet don''t allow it.

Any business or marketing people here?, tell me the best way to market this game abroad. Catch the run away Arab people living around the world

Up The Irons!
Up The Irons!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement