🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is being too original a bad thing?

Started by
48 comments, last by Golden Bunny 22 years ago
I''ve been a Nintendo loyalist for years now and I''m tired of their kiddy ways. But this forum is about story development in games. I have some game ideas but no one likes them because they''re too weird/original. Heres one of them. A game staring an evolved monkey who plays as a cop. This is a mature title by the way. Not a kiddy game. Think Planet of the Apes meets Resident Evil. Will this game sell if it was ever released?
"A programmer, when told to go to hell, sees the 'go to' and not the 'hell' as the harmful part of the sentence."
Advertisement
It really depends...I''ve seen weirder titles in my day. It depends on how it''s presented and what ir really is all about.

-Mac
"I''ve said what I''ve said, now get over it..."
Weird games certainly have a place, if only for those people who are stoned out of their minds...

If you want to write weird games, write them. Don''t expect them to be as popular as non-weird games, because there are more weird people than not-weird people. But the weird people will be your market - plus some people who will pick up the game out of sheer curiosity, because they want to play something weird.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates
- sleeps in a ham-mock at www.thebinaryrefinery.cjb.net

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

So you could climb buildings and trees, and swing on bars in your uniform and eat bananas for powerups while you are cuffing the bad guys?

Interesting
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
The trick to beaing xenophobia is to present your new concept in such a way that it looks like its the same old thing, but it has some unexplainable new-ness to it. For example, your evolved monkey should probably look a lot like a human with some apelike features. Also, don''t make this one Apecop the only evolved monkey, you want to make the premise believable, and one monkey evolving above all else, and deciding to be a cop, and being allowed to be a cop, besides being the subject of all scientific study, doesn''t seem plausible.

-> Will Bubel
-> Machine wash cold, tumble dry.
william bubel
quote: Original post by Waverider
So you could climb buildings and trees, and swing on bars in your uniform and eat bananas for powerups while you are cuffing the bad guys?

And throw feces at them!

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates
- sleeps in a ham-mock at www.thebinaryrefinery.cjb.net

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Well, I said my title was mature. None of that kiddiness. The monkeys use their fist and guys as their weapon. Like Resident Evil, but with monkeys as the leading role. Also, with better controls.
"A programmer, when told to go to hell, sees the 'go to' and not the 'hell' as the harmful part of the sentence."
quote: Original post by Golden Bunny
I''ve been a Nintendo loyalist for years now

It''s a good thing you''re loyal to Nintendo. I''m sure they really appreciate it. Furthermore, it shows that you''re mature enough to block out all the other systems so you can''t be tainted by their games. Bravo!

quote: and I''m tired of their kiddy ways.

And good thing, too, that you''re not looking at games for their gameplay value. I mean, who''d ever want a game to be fun when they can have "mature rated content" in it?
quote: But this forum is about story development in games.

Then why did you post the above?
quote: I have some game ideas but no one likes them because they''re too weird/original.

And because no one likes them, they are completely invalid. Again, this is a good sign of you as a game developer. It shows you rely heavily on your peers (who are obviously expert game designers in their own right) to judge/validate your ideas.

quote: Heres one of them. A game staring an evolved monkey who plays as a cop. This is a mature title by the way. Not a kiddy game. Think Planet of the Apes meets Resident Evil.

The fact that you are falling into the Hollywood "think X meets Y" is great as well, because what people want is completely familiar concepts to fall back on. What I don''t get is why you think this is original or even the slightest bit weird. So what, you''re a monkey. In fact, it''s totally apparent that you missed the entire point of Planet of the Apes. But, back to your stunning game idea - and since this is the game writing forum, the story. It may, with all seriousness, be the only saving grace of your game - if you could somehow differentiate it from PotA and have an interesting evolutionary sci-fi thing (or whatever). But, the rest of your game idea is trite. Resident Evil with a man, monkey, or 2 ton blob is still Resident Evil. (well, ok, a 2 ton blob would be interesting - unless everything was scaled to its size, then you''re back to the monkey, so to speak.)

quote: Will this game sell if it was ever released?

Do you care? Is the whole point of you writing for games to make money? If it is, then, you know what? Stick to Hollywood formulae like you''re seemingly on the path to doing. That whole school of thought is convinced that people don''t want anything new. So, they churn out copies of the the latest, hottest thing. And then someone decides to do something new (taking that huge risk!) and the cycle starts all over again. All in all, bullshit.

Write what you want. If it sells, hey, more power to you. If it doesn''t, either consider yourself a failure, or consider everyone else failures. Most classical painters were only successful posthumously - they lived their lives in failure. (whether it was themselves or everyone else depended on the disposition of the artist)

Rant over,
-bored
I''m going to ignore those stupid remarks. You devote the majority of your day writing a looooong post .
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
Resident Evil with a man, monkey, or 2 ton blob is still Resident Evil. (well, ok, a 2 ton blob would be interesting - unless everything was scaled to its size, then you''re back to the monkey, so to speak.)

Heh. That blob thing would rock. Although I can''t begin to envision a logical control scheme (all those pseudopods).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement