🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is being too original a bad thing?

Started by
48 comments, last by Golden Bunny 22 years ago
No, you''re assuming things. I''m not the typical hot shot who thinks hes the best, I''m just over-confident. I''ve never played 13th warrior so I couldn''t have rip it off. Ok, maybe the storyline isn''t original but its for a fighting game. Do fighting games really need a storyline?
"A programmer, when told to go to hell, sees the 'go to' and not the 'hell' as the harmful part of the sentence."
Advertisement
be who you are.

I''m tired of posers like you on these boards. there is no need for your "i''m too good for you" stance. Learn to learn from your mistakes instead of vindicating those who point them out and ignoring their well-wishes and advice.

maybe your ego has grown so big that it covers your eyes and leaves you blind to the truth?
be who you are: a newbie. Don''t act like you know anything, because you obviously know next to nothing.

I''m tired of posers like you on these boards. there is no need for your "i''m too good for you" stance. Learn to learn from your mistakes instead of vindicating those who point them out and ignoring their well-wishes and advice.

maybe your ego has grown so big that it covers your eyes and leaves you blind to the truth?

(the above post was me...)
"everything you need is around you...the only danger is inside of you."
quote: Original post by Golden Bunny
No, you're assuming things. I'm not the typical hot shot who thinks hes the best, I'm just over-confident. I've never played 13th warrior so I couldn't have rip it off. Ok, maybe the storyline isn't original but its for a fighting game. Do fighting games really need a storyline?

Ok, you're over-confident (in other words: thinking you're the best without being an asshole about it). That's good. It's just that you shouldn't dismiss the critics (and you said several times you actually wanted feedback) by making excuses, yawning and god-forbid *repeating yourself* like we are a bunch of fucking idiots who can't understand you.

Anyway, back on the initial topic (title).

Is being too original a bad thing?

We should start by defining "too original". What is too original, where's the line between original and "too original". What is the definition of original ? Tough question. I'll let somebody else try to define it

o·rig·i·nal adj.
Preceding all others in time; first.

- Not derived from something else; fresh and unusual: an original play, not an adaptation.
- Showing a marked departure from previous practice; new: a truly original approach.
- Productive of new things or new ideas; inventive: an original mind.
- Being the source from which a copy, reproduction, or translation is made.

In my opinion, it depends on what your goals are. Do you want your game to be commercially successful ? If so, being too original might not be a good venture as the "mass" usually want something they are familliar with, with better graphics / gameplay / storylines / etc...

In a high budget situation, trying to set trends and being overly original and weird is high risk / potentially high profit.

What's great with most people around here is that most are independant with low budget projects, so you can take risks by trying some fucked up concepts and what not without losing much money, if not at all except for your time. But that used time will be converted into experience, win-win.

My suggestion: "go wild!"

[edited by - hpox on June 10, 2002 12:31:41 AM]
Fucking Christ?!?! whats wrong with you people. I was yawning towards AP. He was bashing my idea. If you guys hate my idea say its bad in a good way. Another thing, I''m not in here looking for verbal wars with humans online. I just wanted feedback, I read some of your post. I have considered some ideas and written new stories. Don''t bash me, fuck. Calling me an asshole, assuming I have a big ego and shit. Thats not necessary man.
"A programmer, when told to go to hell, sees the 'go to' and not the 'hell' as the harmful part of the sentence."
attention: moderators
(close this thread, or delete it)
quote: Original post by Golden Bunny
Whats wrong with you people. I was yawning towards AP. He was bashing my idea. If you guys hate my idea say its bad in a good way. Another thing, I''m not in here looking for verbal wars with humans online. I just wanted feedback, I read some of your post. I have considered some ideas and written new stories. Don''t bash me, fuck. Calling me an asshole, assuming I have a big ego and shit. Thats not necessary man.

You might want to read my post again, and ignore the first paragraph I was just clearing up why I assumed you were a hot-shot (I shouldn''t have), I even said, "ok you''re not a hot-shot just over-confident, that''s good ".

I think I brought up some good points in the rest of my post.
Why? Because I cursed? I''m not the only one. Moderators have to read the other people''s post. They tempted me to do it. I didn''t want to curse. I don''t know what I did wrong, fucking mother fuckers are bashing me for posting my idea. I''m fucking trying to act nice and this is what I get for it. People assuming shit, saying I have a big ego. You guys need to get out more and get a social life. Stop and smell the roses of life, not run and smoke the plants of death
I didn''t bother to read your entire post because I thought it was just a mindless bash response. Listen man, you seriously don''t know me in real life. Stop assuming things, don''t call people names if you don''t know them. Don''t judge people by the words they type on a online community. The way I act online and off line are completely different. So judging me based on the words I type might not be a good idea.

Anyways, I have no one else to turn to. I have no one else to share my ideas with. So I''m going to write storylines and be the only one who likes it for the rest of my life. Too bad I get bashed in the real world and in online communities such as this one. I don''t want a war man. I left the cprogramming forums because people bashed the hell out of me. I was just trying to act nice for a change. They get the wrong idea and think I''m here to get people angry. I''m always misunderstood.
No, you''re the one who''s misunderstading.

Why are you taking this so personally? Try understanding where these attacks are coming from. Don''t be so dead-set in your ways that you can''t change. That is a sure sign of maturity - the ability to realize that you''re going to be wrong a lot of the time.

As for criticism, it''s the most important tool of a writer. If someone attacks you personally, ignore it. If someone attacks your idea, refute the attack or adapt to it.

You could do well listening to other people instead of freaking out.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement