🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The best storline ever?

Started by
115 comments, last by boolean 20 years, 11 months ago
The best game ever made has not been created, and never will be

Asking what game has a good plot is like asking what is your favorite activity, eating or breathing...

Plots for games today seem to be lost, almost to the point of where games can go on lack of substance, but as long as you get to kill people everyone thinks it''s fine.

UT2003, good game, no plot...why? Graphics.

Max Payne, good game, linear plot, no re-playability.

Halo: Same as above.

Doom III: ? No idea, graphics look astounding, plot, linear.

Unreal II: Same as above...

No game in this day and age has a plot which can expand...has no ability to change with your game play... The only one I know of is Everquest, and that doesn''t even have the best plot...

Cyberpawz

Font size: [size=7]Upon the new name of the new Windows OS (Longhorn), potentially coming out by 2005, to compete against the new Mac OS of 10.5 (Panther), a response was given.Panthers eat Longhorns. Does this remind anyone of Windows 95 ("Chicago") vs. System 7.5 ("Capone")?
Advertisement
I''m sorry, but it really bugs me when people say that FF7 had a good storyline with out even mentioning FF3/6. FF7 draws so much of it''s story from FF3/6 and just alters it. Here are some of the things I have noticed.

Final Fantasy 7 starts off with the main group of adventurers trying to stop an evil corperation. Final Fantasy 3/6 has the main group of adventurers trying to stop the empire from conquering the world.

It comes as a shock in FF7 to find out that the main female character, Aeris, is infact a Cetra, one of the ancients. FF3/6 the main female character, Terra, is revealed to be an Esper, the source of magic.

As FF7 goes on, the game switches from the group trying to stop the company, but to focusing on stopping Sephiroth, who through realizing the power of the ancients, becomes almost god-like. As FF3 goes on, the game switches from the group trying to stop the empire, to the group trying to stop Kefka, who through unlocking the power of magic, becomes almost god-like.

And the list goes on...
"...."
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty

An extremely twisting plot with charasmatic characters and some very deep morals. More than a game, more than a movie.
Cheers, comrade Kyle Evans,Artificial entertainment [Movie/Game Reviews]Contact: kyser3152@yahoo.com.au
Um... Deus Ex? Whats wrong with you people!
"Let me just ejaculate some ideas"
quote: Original post by LuckyNewbie
Um... Deus Ex? Whats wrong with you people!

No real replayability...

Two endings, that''s it...

Cyberpawz
Font size: [size=7]Upon the new name of the new Windows OS (Longhorn), potentially coming out by 2005, to compete against the new Mac OS of 10.5 (Panther), a response was given.Panthers eat Longhorns. Does this remind anyone of Windows 95 ("Chicago") vs. System 7.5 ("Capone")?
The Myst serie!
No replayability.

Two endings, and that''s about it...everything else is pretty much non-liniar.

It''s like Oni, one point in the game you made a choice...and that decided the end... overall, you have no other choices...

Max Payne, is the same way, except the plot is good, but no re-playability.

The only place that is close to having a good plot (but lousy game play in my opinion) is the Baldurs Gate series. You make up your own mind of what to do, although there are parts that HAVE to be done, but overall, you have a choice one way or another.

Cyberpawz
quote: Original post by Cyberpawz

The only place that is close to having a good plot (but lousy game play in my opinion) is the Baldurs Gate series. You make up your own mind of what to do, although there are parts that HAVE to be done, but overall, you have a choice one way or another.

Cyberpawz

I bet you haven''t played Planescape:Torment, right? It''s pretty much like BG but with a much more interesting story and much much cooler characters with amazing background histories that expands the plot a lot.
*Know* yourself.
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
The Final Fantasy series (especially 7)

That''s what I wanted to say

Day of the Tentacle
Maniac Mansion

ALL of the old Lucas Arts (and even Sierra Games - anything -Quest)

Practically IMPOSSIBLE to beat any of them without help and extremely interesting storylines, but you don''t WANT to play them again because you just spent 6 years beating it the first time. Then you go on to, say, Full Throttle and don''t have enough bunnies to send across the f*cking minefield.

Anways, I haven''t the money to buy any of the games mentioned above, but I did download ''The Last Rose in a Desert Garden'' - we''ll see if it runs.

-Geo
(red eye)
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement