🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Forum Game, Evolve!

Started by
22 comments, last by sunandshadow 20 years, 8 months ago
quote: Original post by sunandshadow
quote: Original post by sagwagon
Ummm, this is dumb?

Why do you think that? Forum games have been very popular in the past, and we already established that evolution is popular. We just need to get a good start to get people enthused.

no offense, but my thread about evolution has been pretty dead for a good week now. I edited it, and now nobody wants to talk about it. I, too, don''t really understand the rules either. If you want to talk about making a game about evolution, talk about it. Don''t sit here and play word games.

I feel that brainstorming is a good idea, but don''t make it so... limited.
Quote: Original post by EtnuBwahaha. I would've shot the guy in the balls.
Advertisement
The idea is just to throw ideas round, building on what other people have said, to (hopefully) come up with a cool concept. Have a look at the original forum game. I really like what they came up with—really weird and trippy—and it all started off from two completely unconnected elements.

Look at what sunandshadow gave in her orinal post in this thread—what does it make you think of? Read through the rest of the thread; hopefully what other people have written will trigger ideas to fire off in your brain. Write them down and post them.
Jeez, note the word "game" in the title of the thread. The point is not to discuss evolution in games, the point it for us to play a game. Cooperative games build community spirit! Plus they''re fun. ^_^ Haven''t you ever played Fortunately/Unfortunately, or Instant Opera, or The Story Must Rhyme!, or that card game Once Upon A Time? Writing (and game design) is an art, but it is often also compared to a game of solitaire. This is just the multiplayer version.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Okay, picture this. You are in a castle and have a gun. Twenty other people have a gun. You must kill them.

Oh wait... that''s Quake.
quote: Original post by TechnoGoth
Zill - An artificially created biomechanical creature able to evolve, mutate and adapt in response to a verity of stimuli.

Spontaneous Protective Adaptation - In response to potentially fatal situations there is chance the Zill will immediately evolve the necessary adaptation to survive.

Absorption - The ability of a Zill to absorb another Zill and incorporate its biological and mechanical patterns into itself.

Hmm, we seem to have posted at the same time last night... I''ll try to work your ideas in with mine, Voice of tango, and Mosh''s:

Okay, Zill is the male main character. He knows he was artificially created, but was it by the evolutioners, for some nefarious purpose, or...? He doesn''t know. So he has this internal dilemma that he might be destined to help destroy or enslave humanity, and he doesn''t know how or why or when. Kind of the opposite of the usual destined savior main character. ^_^ His ability is the "spontaneous protective adaptation" you describe. Is the point of this ability to keep him alive until he can carry out his nefarious purpose? He has the ability of absorption too, but this doesn''t emerge until later in the game plot so he can have something fresh to angst about - being an involuntary murdurer/cannibal. Is he becomming what he eats? Will absorbing too many villains make him evil? Waht happens to their souls?

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Zill has blue skin like the other mutants.
The Evolutioners managed to find the fractals of the DNA-Helix of something that was called a Demonlord long before and putted them into some of the Zill-mutants.

So awaked the main-character feels dark energies flowing through him (not knowing why) - and according to his genetic destiny he feels the needing of consuming more DNA and souls.

But he is not nessessary evil - it's the classic fight between good and evil in his soul.

What about Kendra - sended out to destroy the Zill...?

(Edit: spelling)

[edited by - Squarefox on October 27, 2003 5:06:30 PM]
Okay... let’s see...

The Evolutioners consist of 12 shadowy individuals each known to each other only by a name corresponding to an occupation. They have been controlled by a mysterious entity known only as "The Clock Maker" since their creation countless years ago. The Evolutioners conduct numerous experiments around the planet on the unsuspecting population. They maintain their strength and secrecy by never getting directly involved in a situation merely controlling things from behind the scenes.

Kendra, well she''s a apparently an albino shape shifting vampire, let take that a step further and give it a twist by making her not just a normal vampire but instead she''s, Kendra the vampire slayer(sorry couldn''t resist). As for weaponry she has the ability to transform her own blood into weapons, so she cuts her finger and turns the blood that drips out into whatever weapon she needs such as a sword, scythe or javelin.

Experiments - Zill and the vampires are two of the experiments run by the Evolutioners all in the name gathering data for there Ultimate objective.

What if Zill is considered a flawed experiment that was abandoned and discarded by the Evolutioners? Throughout the course of the game the Evolutioners would refer to him as such. Furthermore in order to ensure that their failed experiments don’t run get out of hand they always program them a with a fixed expiration date. So at certain point Zill''s body will start to break down that’s where his spontaneous defensive adaptation unexpectedly activate giving him the ability absorb other people gaining there abilities and extending his own life. To add an extra twist the more often he absorbs people the higher his hidden hunger stat increases. If it gets to high he loses control and will start absorbing any powerful entity he encounters whether they be friend or foe.

Zill 2.0 - Since Zill is a flawed experiment some where there exists a fully functional and improved version known as Zill 2.0. This could lead to some unfortunate misunderstandings and mistaken identity problems.

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project
Chaos Factor Design Document

quote: Original post by TechnoGoth
As for weaponry she has the ability to transform her own blood into weapons, so she cuts her finger and turns the blood that drips out into whatever weapon she needs such as a sword, scythe or javelin.

Kendra has long sharp nails to make it easier to scratch herself quick to produce a weapon. Maybe she can do interesting things with others'' blood too.

So, is Kendra a blood vampire and Zill a soul/dna vampire? If Kendra is a vampire slayer, how did she get to be that and is she trying to kill Zill?

Kendra is a vampire and a vampire slayer. Since the vampires where created as an experiment sometimes they cause undesirable elements to be entered into the experiment as well as they occasionally need to be retired when they become obsolate. Thats where Kenda comes into play, her duty is to eliminate those vampires that are no longer need.

Zill on the other hand isn''t a vampire he''s an interly diffrent kind of experiment. Maybe origanly created as the ideal worker able to survie and thrive in any task or environment.

What other experiments are being performed? How do the diffrent people interact? Do they know they are experiments?

new words:
symphony of agony, uprising, the cows, control chip, the purple lands.

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project
Chaos Factor Design Document

Not actually an experiment, but perhaps a new uprising threat to the planet earth (and mars of course) are some aliens named "The Cows".
They come from a far dimension named the purple lands, and therefrom they travel through the warp to implant other species their control chips to use them as slaves on their grass-farms.

new words: spacehamsters, oranges, door, drugs, paper & steel

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement