Intel and AMD

Started by
20 comments, last by Blade Runner 23 years, 9 months ago
I was doing a little search on CNET.com for MP3 players and other things and i came upon this. A AMD Athlon Processor with a 200MHz system bus with 1GHZ and a 384L2 cache TBird priced at about $281.00. This is kind of like a light version of the new DDR processor by AMD, kind of like the Duron is a light version of the Orignal AMD K7 Athlon Processor.

Edited by - Blade Runner on November 18, 2000 3:51:45 PM
--------------------------I shall thrash his bloody head in, cut it from upon his shoulders, and as his blood flows effortlessly down my blade, I shall taste it's sweetness. Blade Runner’s Entertainment Nothing much right now...
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Magmai Kai Holmlor

The TBird is 64bits architecture??
I thought they were a socket7 version of the athelons...

And AMD has dramatically increased its market share in the enthusist market, but not in the business or server sectors. Those sectors are where the majority profits are; the margin is lower, but the volume is *much* higher. So they are making a little bit of money, but are far from digging intel''s grave...

The L3 cache (which is missing on Celeries & Dumbons) makes a significant performance (& cost...) difference. A 550MHz K6-2 is slower than a 450MHz K6-3. If you play games, you''re better off buying a slower athelon or PIII, than a faster celeron or duron.

If you have something that''s ~500Mhz or faster, buying a GeForce will probably give better throughput than a faster chip. x2 or x4 AGP MB would be important too...

Ok so you may have a point about AMD digging Intels grave so i''ll take it all back.
--------------------------I shall thrash his bloody head in, cut it from upon his shoulders, and as his blood flows effortlessly down my blade, I shall taste it's sweetness. Blade Runner’s Entertainment Nothing much right now...
The grave isn''t being dug yet for Intel, but AMD has held the speed crown for a bit now. They seem to be on the move for now. Dell doesn''t offer them yet, but Gateway does.

Glen Martin
Dynamic Adventures Inc.
Zenfar
Glen Martin
Dynamic Adventures Inc.
Zenfar
Dells seem to be great computers almost every school in my state uses them, but they are like after market computers though.

Gateways are alright from what i''ve "heard" from others who own a Gateway computer.
P4 from Intel is out now. check it out at -------------->

http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-1018-404-3744857.html?tag=st.cn.1.tlpg.1018-404-3744857

Some ups and downs but it''s all good.
The P4 is the biggest joke ever. Rumor has it that Intel will be shipping them with two 64MB sticks of Rambus memory ''cause otherwise a system would be ENTIRELY unaffordable. You need a new case, a new mobo, a new powersupply, and then the Athlon 1.2Ghz still kicks its arse in almost every important benchmark. ( See www.anandtech.com ). $2500 minimum for a complete system. Get three or four Durons for that price and run them in a Beowulf cluster.

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Mad Keith the V.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Athlons do kick ass, but via''s drivers for their chipset suck ass! I have one of the best motherboards out there (Asus A7V) but its not to good when I run it in Windows 2000. I get random lock ups all the time. Mostly when running high graphic programs, but other times too. It really bites! Does anyone else have this problem? It works fine in win98. Anyone know how to fix it.

I have all new drivers. And that little AMD patch that they have on AMD''s site for the APG stuff.

I think the problem is with the IRQ driver. All three of my expansion cards are sharing the same IRQ(9). What''s up with that?

It''s my Geforce2, my SBLive card, and a network card.

Anyway, any help would be great.
[I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be]
Just to give you a hint,
1 month ago, i ordered a TBird 800 and a Asus A7V....
Well, it''s fast, but prepare to run into some serious
compatibility-problems ( SB Live Player, GeForce 2 GTS-drivers,
ATA/100 hard-disks, Win95, AGP, etc. ). I you want to turn power on and work, this combination may not be the right selection.
If you are willing to check many drivers and you can switch
between different OSes for diff. tasks then this is a very
good thing to learn about hw-internals ;-)
''Til now, I didn''t try to OC, but read everywhere, that it''s
rather simple.....
I''m interested in other peoples experience with that config...

I''m running a Duron 700 on an MSI K7T Pro, at about 800 Mhz. I haven''t had a single compatibility problem and not a single unexplained lockup. I think that perhaps the stability of the Asus A7V may be a bit overrated .

[ By the way, so far it has run Win98SR2, WinNT4.0 SP5 and SuSE Linux 6.2, without hiccup ]

I also think that if you have the latest VIA 4-in-1 drivers, you should NOT apply any other patch that AMD may offer, since VIA will have already worked these into their own drivers.

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Mad Keith the V.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
quote: Original post by MadKeithV

The P4 is the biggest joke ever. Rumor has it that Intel will be shipping them with two 64MB sticks of Rambus memory ''cause otherwise a system would be ENTIRELY unaffordable. You need a new case, a new mobo, a new powersupply, and then the Athlon 1.2Ghz still kicks its arse in almost every important benchmark. ( See www.anandtech.com ). $2500 minimum for a complete system. Get three or four Durons for that price and run them in a Beowulf cluster.

Mad Keith the V.

I agree the AMD Athlons processors are much better than the Intels Pentium processors.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement