Advertisement

The Week of awesome II! - The second annual unofficial gamedev competition!

Started by August 25, 2014 12:04 AM
278 comments, last by slicer4ever 9 years, 11 months ago

Hey!

I have found two other person that will join me for the contest :D

Programmer : Phil (1)

Game Designer : Will

Artist : Phil (2)

I'll do an update on the team name soon!

I'm pretty sure it will involve something along the lines of 2 Phil 1 Will... :P

Advertisement

Hey, count me in!

I'll use

-Language C++

-Engine: My own Xtreme engine (it's a framework for DirectX, provides windowing, input, sound, music, rendering

-Graphics: My own Painter app

-Audio: sfxr, cgMusic, midtoogg converter

-Hosting: own web space

My team will use these:

- Language: C++
- SDK: SFML + pre-existing but very incomplete map editor
- Engine : None, but I will use existing in-house libraries for things like serialization, file-parsing, and common types (Point, Rect, etc...).
- Graphics: Paint Shop Pro XI (7 years out of date biggrin.png), MS Paint, and Celesol uses traditional media and a scanner (if she decides to participate).
- Sound FX: Probably creative-commons.
- Music: I'll either use creative-commons, or re-purpose pre-existing works from previous projects.
- Blog: Pixel ? Tile ? World
- File hosting: DropBox

Ah, you convinced her, good job!

Still up in the air. unsure.png It depends on whether she gets inspired by the theme, and whether we can come up with a game idea that she likes. smile.png

Seems likely though.

We'll be using the cross-platform engine we've been working on.

Language: C/C++ and OpenGL

SDK/Engine: OPifex Engine

Graphics: Blender / Gimp / Photoshop / It'll depend on the game

Blog / Hosting: http://teamopifex.com

Sound / Music : Not sure yet, good chance it'll be procedurally created though.

Language: C++

Framework: None / My own, depending on what game I come up with

Graphics: Blender + Photoshop (and/or online sources)

Audio: Online sources + Audacity

Hosting/Blog: Undecided

Custom frameworks and engines...

My confidence just took a sudden dive.

Rapidly.

Rapidly.

It should've gotten a boost. 'Custom engines' means that we're working on unproven and buggy technology that's incompleted. wink.png

We're going into battle with an unproven weapon.

Not only that, but the features we add to our C++ "custom frameworks" are features that are pre-packaged and built-in to almost every non-C++ language. sad.png

C++'s standard library is like 1/10th the size of Java and Python standard libraries. If we wanted to, there are free open-source C++ engines we could be using; but feel like the contest is a good place to stress-test our own tech, specifically so the flaws can be revealed to us.

Rapidly.

It should've gotten a boost. 'Custom engines' means that we're working on unproven and buggy technology that's incompleted. wink.png

We're going into battle with an unproven weapon.

Not only that, but the features we add to our C++ "custom frameworks" are features that are pre-packaged and built-in to almost every non-C++ language. sad.png

C++'s standard library is like 1/10th the size of Java and Python standard libraries. If we wanted to, there are free open-source C++ engines we could be using; but feel like the contest is a good place to stress-test our own tech, specifically so the flaws can be revealed to us.

Oh, is that some kind of bait for us newbies?

But fine, I'll bite laugh.png

- Language: C#
- Engine/Framework : Either Unity or XNA/Monogame (if the latter, then I'd probably have to start from scratch dry.png )
- Graphics: Depends on the artist, if I can find one. If not, then probably Spriter if I still have time, or just grab some free assets from the store (or web, I'll be sure to check the licenses).
- Sound/Music: Same as above, except I really can't do music. So if I can't get any sound engineer, I'll use free assets.
- Blog: I'll post things on my GD.net journal.
- File hosting: Bitbucket

Now, I'm off to try and fool some artists into making things for me.

Advertisement

Language: Javascript / HTML5

Engine/Framework: Phaser

Graphics: Inkscape / Gimp / and possible blender (rendered to 2d)

Sound/Music: Probably get public domain / FOSS sound

Blog: http://aletheiagamestudio.com/?cat=4

One thing I would like to suggest to all participants (whether competing, judging or simply observing) of this competition. Leave comments on the various blogs that the participants are utilising to show game progress. Bring the community support to a level so that a competitor in their deepest darkest moment can see that interest is being taken in their work and provide them encouragement to keep going.

To that end - Slicer I would recommend you do a listing of the blog links next to the competitors on the first post.

One thing I would like to suggest to all participants (whether competing, judging or simply observing) of this competition. Leave comments on the various blogs that the participants are utilising to show game progress. Bring the community support to a level so that a competitor in their deepest darkest moment can see that interest is being taken in their work and provide them encouragement to keep going.

To that end - Slicer I would recommend you do a listing of the blog links next to the competitors on the first post.

I'd like to double encourage this, seeing people posting feedback is always a welcoming experience! so as a competitor, or an observer, i ask you try to be proactive. Post to people even if you normally wouldn't, even if it's as simple as "looks good".

Also, excellent idea stormy, I've gone through and collected all the blog sites listed, so if you have a blog you'd like me to add to the front page, let me know and i'll put it up!
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

Let's do this...ph34r.png

I, the uncanny Eck man, plan to do battle with the entire lot of you! Let this post serve as official notice of my entry into the competition.

These are the tools I'll be using during the game jam:

Language: C#

SDK: XNA (or possibly MonoGame)

Engine: Reusing my own core libraries

Graphics: Paint.NET

SoundFX/Music: Free online resources

Blog: Eck's Journal - Still Flying

File Hosting: Drop Box

Team name: Still Flying

Members: Just me. (Though my wife and daughter may possibly help with artwork and sound since I have ZERO talent there)

I'll be using the hash tag #gdnjam for my posts unless a more official answer gets posted.

Good luck and have fun everyone. See you on the field of battle!

- Eck

EckTech Games - Games and Unity Assets I'm working on
Still Flying - My GameDev journal
The Shilwulf Dynasty - Campaign notes for my Rogue Trader RPG

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement